- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Sports and the Outdoors
Take a picture of yourself on some of the world's southernmost beaches and send it home. But Invercargill doesn't exactly have perfect tanning weather. Even during summer, the south can still get a few chilly days.
Oreti Beach. Oreti Beach, 11 km (7 mi) southeast of town, is too rough for swimming but people do surf and windsurf, taking advantage of the wind and swells that whip the coast almost constantly.
Sandy Point. A good walking spot is Sandy Point, which can be reached by taking a left after crossing the Oreti River on the way out to Oreti Beach. A 13-km (8-mi) network of easygoing trails covers the riverbanks, estuary, and the bush. A leaflet detailing the paths is available from the visitor information center in town.
Tuatapere Hump Ridge Track. On the western side of the Southern Scenic Route, the Tuatapere Hump Ridge Track is a challenging circular three-day, two-night walk that combines beach, bush, and subalpine environments in its 53 km (33 mi). The track starts near Tuatapere, about two hours' drive west of Invercargill and right on the edge of the Fiordland National Park. It's no amble; you'll spend about nine hours walking each day, but two good huts each sleep about 40 people. You'll need to buy hut tickets in advance. Guided walks begin at NZ$130; contact firstname.lastname@example.org for reservations. 31 Orawia Rd., Tutapere, Invercargill, 9620. 03/2266739. www.humpridgetrack.co.nz.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe