- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Bayview Chateau Tongariro
At a Glance
- classy restful place
- the enormous lounge area has a welcoming open fire and a full-size billiard table
- when the mist comes down you won't get a view from even the most expensive suite
Check Rates from our Partners
Bayview Chateau Tongariro Review
Built in 1929, this French neo-Georgian style property stands out in Whakapapa Village; most rooms have views of the surrounding National Park. Meals are taken in the Ruapehu Restaurant ($$$–$$$$)—serving traditional New Zealand cuisine with a modern slant—or there's a less formal café. The hotel can arrange guided hikes on all the best-known routes in the park.
- Address: Hwy. 48, Private Bag 71901, Mt. Ruapehu Tongariro National Park, 3951
- Phone: 07/892–3809; 0800/242–832
- Website: www.chateau.co.nz
- Location: Tongariro National Park
- 106 rooms, includes 7 suites and 9 motel units.
- Rate includes no meals.
- Credit cards accepted.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
Hai everyone... I finally visited New Zealand... Yeay!!!! I am pretty proud of myself because I did all the driving and planning... We had 12 days journey in North Island from October 13 to October 24.. Read more
August 15-Sept 14, 2013
My love affair with the South Island of New Zealand continues. Read more
Hi guys, I'm starting to organize my wardrobe for 5 days in Sydney and 10 day cruise to Auckland on Regent Voyager in January. Read more
· News & Features
Wine connoisseurs take note: Norwegian Cruise Line has partnered with the Michael Mondavi Family Estate ... Read more
Got cabin fever?... Read more
Finding an affordable, stylish hotel in Manhattan is a challenge.... Read more