East Coast and the Volcanic Zone Restaurants
- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
East Coast and the Volcanic Zone Restaurant Reviews
Rotorua has the area's most diverse dining scene. You can find anything from Indian to Japanese fare, or try a Māori hāngi (meal cooked in an earth oven or over a steam vent). Hawke's Bay is another hot spot; its winery restaurants emphasize sophisticated preparations and food-and-wine pairings. Around Eastland, which is so laid-back it's nearly horizontal, the choices are simpler, and you'll be treated with the area's characteristic friendliness. One thing you won't find on any menu is fresh trout. Laws prohibit selling this fish, but if you catch a trout, chefs at most lodging establishments will cook it for you.
Dressing up for dinner, or any other meal, is a rarity, expected at only the most high-end lodges and restaurants.
Browse East Coast and the Volcanic Zone Restaurants
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's