- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Surfing with Frank. Gisborne has three good surfing beaches close to town. Waikanae Beach, a short walk from the visitor center on Grey Street, usually has good learners' surf, and the Pipe and the Island are for the more experienced. The Pipe is just south of Waikanae; the Island fronts the Titarangi Domain. You can arrange for lessons at Surfing with Frank. Rates start at NZ$50; private lessons are NZ$75 for 2 hours; surfboard and wetsuit hire is NZ$25. 06/867-0823. www.surfingwithfrank.com.
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- $1120* & up -- New Zealand in 'Fall' from West Coast, R/T Air New Zealand