- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Dive Tatapouri. Albacore, yellowfin tuna, mako shark, and marlin along with the yellow-tail kingfish are prized catches off the East Cape from January to April (no fishing licenses needed). There are various fishing operators.
Dive Tatapouri is 14 km (9 mi) north of the city off State Highway 35. Dean and Chrissie of Dive Tatapouri cater for all types of fishing and diving; you can even do the shark encounter from a cage at the back of the boat. If you get to the dive shop at the right time, (tides allowing), you might be lucky enough to hand-feed stringrays that swim close in to the nearby rocks. 06/868–5153. www.divetatapouri.com.
Surfit Boat Charters. Their fishing trips start at NZ$150 per person. If you fancy being lowered in a shark cage to come face-to-face with a white pointer shark, aka a "great white," you can take the plunge for NZ$310. 06/867–2970 or 027/230–7016. www.surfit.co.nz.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe