For yet another chance to laze on the beach, Whakatane (fah-kah-tah-nee) claims to be the North Island's sunniest town. This was landfall on New Zealand for the first migratory Maori canoes, and the fertile hinterland was among the first areas of the country to be farmed.
Whakatane at a Glance
Elsewhere in Coromandel Peninsula and the Bay of Plenty
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- $1048* & up -- New Zealand in 'Fall' from West Coast, R/T Air New Zealand