- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Auckland International Airport (AKL) lies 21 km (13 mi) southwest of the city center, about a 30-minute drive away. It has adopted a "quiet airport" policy, so it doesn't use loudspeakers to announce boarding times. Look for flight info.
A free inter-terminal bus links the international and domestic terminals from 6 am to 10 pm. Otherwise, the walk between the two terminals takes about 10 minutes. Luggage for flights aboard the two major domestic airlines, Air New Zealand and Qantas Airways, can be checked at the international terminal.
Air New Zealand and the Qantas budget airline Jetstar, are the main domestic carriers serving Auckland. Air New Zealand connects with 25 domestic cities a day, and makes about 10 flights a day to Australia. Jetstar also connects Auckland with many cities and compliments Qantas's cross-Tasman service; Jetstar service can be unpredictable and require check-in one hour before departure. Air Tahiti Nui stops off in Auckland on its LA and New York runs.
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- $1048* & up -- New Zealand in 'Fall' from West Coast, R/T Air New Zealand
- $1999 & up -- Australia 5-Night Escape w/Barrier Reef Trip Down Under Answers
- $1029 & up -- 12-Nt. Australia & New Zealand on Celebrity American Express Travel