- Travel Tips
- French Phrases
Cook's Bay Review
This lovely bay, also known as Paopao Bay, has the most dramatic setting and is best appreciated by standing at its eastern or western shore, or better still, from a boat out in the lagoon. The much-photographed shark-toothed mountain of Mouaroa rises steeply behind it, and Mt. Rotui stands at its western side. There's no real township, just a smattering of shops, restaurants, and small hotels along the northeast corner. The village of Paopao sits at the base (or head) of the bay at PK 9.5; it has a daily market (Mon.–Sat. 6 am–5 pm, Sun. 4:30 am—8 am) selling food and local crafts, and nearby is the Van der Heyde art gallery. The Catholic church of St. Joseph sits on the western shore and is decorated with an old wall fresco of the Angel Gabriel. For a spiritual experience par excellence, attend the 10 am mass on Sunday morning to hear the hymns and see Tahitians in their Sunday best.
- Address: PK 6–10.5, Coastal road, Moorea
- Location: North Coast
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
Howdy! Read more
This trip report is all about Moorea in French Polynesia but I'll start first with a quick summary of my time in the USA (highlights only)
*FLIGHTS: NZ to SAN FRAN to WASHINGTON DC *
My fiance' and I are trying to get some recommendations for our honeymoon this fall. Read more