Kadavu Group Feature
If You Like
Diving & Snorkeling
The world's fourth-largest reef is home to huge manta rays and an array of soft coral rivaling, if not surpassing, that of any other reef in the world. And if visitor traffic is anything to go by, it's sorely underappreciated. There are also great sites on the fringing reef, mostly off the southern coast of the island, including shallow spots ideal for snorkeling just off-shore.
From feisty marlins to yellowfin with plenty of fight, there's big game to be had in and around the reef. Matava and Oneta have great boats and particularly strong expertise, and a number of resorts will take guests trolling into the gorgeous clear blue.
Kadavu's rugged terrain and lack of roads lend themselves to an active, water-based holiday, epitomized by a good journey by kayak. Fantastic views are motivation enough and the small, pristine beaches are bonuses.
Solar power, organic gardens, compost piles, water recycling, and marine protected areas are the name of the game at these remote resorts invariably founded by green-minded people. You can take a tour, help garden, or simply savor the fruits of your hosts' labor.
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- $1048* & up -- New Zealand in 'Fall' from West Coast, R/T Air New Zealand
- $1999 & up -- Australia 5-Night Escape w/Barrier Reef Trip Down Under Answers
- $1029 & up -- 12-Nt. Australia & New Zealand on Celebrity American Express Travel
- Amazing Australia IExplore
- $1373* & up -- Fly to Australia from the West Coast, R/T — $1,373 Air New Zealand