Fodor's Vancouver & Victoria
At a Glance
- historic property
- great breakfast
- two-night minimum stay on weekends
Check Rates from our Partners
Candlelight Cottage Review
Curl up with a book in front of the open fire in this charming 1880s cottage, and you might be tempted not to do anything else in the Dandenongs. One of four in the Candlelight collection, this two-bedroom timber house contains everything you need for a cozy weekend within an historical package of time-worn wooden floors, electric "gas lantern" ceiling lights, and antique furniture. The bathroom has a corner spa, and the kitchen contains every imaginable appliance, including an espresso coffeemaker. It's also stocked with breakfast ingredients such as ham, eggs, fruit, muesli, and a wide selection of teas. The minibar contains local wines, beers and ice creams (at extra charge) for a treat after a day of exploring. One of the two double bedrooms is decorated all in white, the other is black and white with decorative French cotton panels. Next door on the same property but separated by mountain ash and a fern gully is Twilight Cottage, which was built in 2003 but looks like a lovely old gingerbread house. It has an open-plan design, with stained-glass windows and a brass bed. One-bedroom Cottage in the Forest, halfway between Olinda and Sassafras, and stylish new one-bedroom cottage The Blackwood, in Sassafras, make up the Candlelight collection.
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's