Hiking and Walking
The Great Ocean Road and the "Surf Coast" section of it around Torquay, Lorne, and Airleys Inlet have fantastic walks providing great clifftop views, while inland a little way there are waterfalls and picnic grounds to explore.
The 30-km (19-mi) Surf Coast Walk, which begins near Jan Juc car park (1 mi west of Torquay) and ends around Moggs Creek Picnic Area at Aireys, can be done in short segments.
Inland from the towns of Fairweather and Eastern View is the vast Great Otway National Park, which has many picturesque walks, including the 12-km (7.5-mi) walk from Aireys Inlet to Distillery Creek, which can be quite strenuous. There are also shorter and easier walks to Erskine Falls and Sheaoak Falls just inland from Lorne. The Torquay and Lorne visitor centers have trail maps.
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's