- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Museum of Old and New Art (MONA)
Museum of Old and New Art (MONA) Review
Opened in 2011, Australia's largest privately funded museum is home to a diverse array of exhibits from Tasmanian millionaire David Walsh's private collection. The unusual collection of more than 400 often provocative pieces, including Sidney Nolan's Snake—an impressive mural made of more than 1,500 individual paintings—and Wim Delovoye's Cloaca Professional, an interesting contraption that transforms food into excrement. Each year, the museum also hosts the MOFO festival, Tasmania's largest contemporary musical festival. Sometimes compared with Bilbao's Guggenheim Museum, MONA offers an eclectic mix of antiquities and contemporary art. The unusual building itself is set into cliffs on the Berriedale peninsula, and visitors to the museum use touch-screen devices to learn about the exhibits as they wander around through. To reach MONA, it's a 15-minute drive, or you can take the MONA-ROMA minibus from Hobart. There is also the MONA fast catamaran from the Hobart waterfront.
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
· News & Features
Techie travelers have embraced the fun, tech-driven, on-the-road adventure that is geocaching. ... Read more
This week, we covered top destinations for great family getaways—from Disney World to dinosaur spotting.... Read more
Go on location in Görlitz, Germany, to the transporting set of director Wes Anderson's film... Read more