- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
The Sovereign Resort Hotel
At a Glance
- good-value apartments
- free in-room Wi-Fi
- airport/wharf transfers
- terrific gardens, BBQ area, and pool
- restaurant not open for dinner in wet season
- Continental breakfast buffet low on selection and expensive
Check Rates from our Partners
The Sovereign Resort Hotel Review
This attractive, two-story colonial-style hotel in the heart of town is the best bet in Cooktown. With a wide front veranda and horizontal wide-slat shutters, the two-story building has the air of a plantation house. Guest rooms and apartments are simply but smartly outfitted with tiled floors, lounge areas, flat-screen TVs, and furnished balconies overlooking tropical gardens or the Endeavour River. The Balcony Restaurant and Cocktail Bar ($$), the town's most upscale eatery, is particularly good, serving classic Aussie dishes and showcasing local seafood and other ingredients, but only from April to October. It's open every day for breakfast, served on the veranda. The onsite Café Bar Bistro and Bottleshop serves light lunches, coffee and local beers; or you can chill out in the cocktail bar. There's a pool, a guest laundry, and a car-hire outlet on site.
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
We recently returned from a visit down under and have posted a review of our cruise on that forum. Read more
Day 5 - Bye-bye Hong Kong, hello OZ!
After checking in at the airport, we had about an hour or so to spare so after negotiating passports and security without too many problems, [DH is always one of those Read more
Some photos from this year's weirdly wonderful Sculptures by the Sea at Cottesloe Beach, Western Australia.
The exhibit runs through March Read more
· News & Features
For ample beach time, minus the party scene, Cabo San Lucas is a bustling enclave with a marina, lots ... Read more
Author, conservationist, and TED Talk speaker Boyd Varty shares eight top places to visit in his native... Read more
This unattributed travel quote tells us why splurging on a trip is totally worth it.... Read more