Dining at Arajilla Retreat at least once during a stay on Lord Howe Island is a must. The cuisine, which changes daily, uses fish straight from the ocean and lovely homegrown vegetables. Begin with a drink at the cozy bar, decked out just a little like a gentlemen's club with leather armchairs, and then take a seat at the restaurant with its white walls and one dramatic burgundy-colored feature wall. The limited menu usually features two starters, three mains (with one vegetarian option), and two desserts. Recent choices have included baby beetroot salad with goat cheese and toasted almonds; a grilled kingfish with potato rosti, asparagus, and egg-yolk ravioli for main; and grilled Mediterranean vegetables with polenta chips and parmesan cheese. Desserts are irresistible and may include black sticky rice with lychee sorbet, toasted coconut, and kaffir lime. In house guests take precedent over those not staying at the resort, so it is wise to book in advance. You can go for a drink at any time though.
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
· News & Features
Premium economy is the budding class of the airline world, but deciding on a carrier (and whether it’s... Read more
San Juan's balmy temperatures, gorgeous beaches, and charming, historic buildings make it the perfec... Read more
Keep an open mind and a flexible schedule on your next getaway.... Read more