Colombo National Museum
Colombo National Museum Review
Also known as the Sri Lanka National Museum, this is the largest museum in the country. Established in the 1870s during the time of British rule, the palatial white building reflects the colonial architectural tastes of the day. Today it contains collections of royal regalia, including the throne and crown jewels of the kings of Kandy. Other exhibits tell the colorful history of ancient Sri Lanka. It's fascinating, if quaintly old fashioned—few new exhibits seem to have been added since it opened more than 130 years ago. Note that ticket sales stop one hour before closing.
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
Gottravel and I spent 18 days of our 6 week SEASia trip in Myanmar. Read more
Just finished my travelogue on my December trip to Myanmar. Read more
Hi, I'm totally new to Fodor, so please be kind!
I've just booked flights to Japan and am trying to get my head round coming up with an itinery, which is proving harder than with any other trips I've done Read more
· News & Features
Techie travelers have embraced the fun, tech-driven, on-the-road adventure that is geocaching.... Read more
This week, we covered top destinations for great family getaways—from Disney World to dinosaur spotting.... Read more
Go on location in Görlitz, Germany, to the transporting set of director Wes Anderson's film... Read more