Colombo National Museum
Colombo National Museum Review
Also known as the Sri Lanka National Museum, this is the largest museum in the country. Established in the 1870s during the time of British rule, the palatial white building reflects the colonial architectural tastes of the day. Today it contains collections of royal regalia, including the throne and crown jewels of the kings of Kandy. Other exhibits tell the colorful history of ancient Sri Lanka. It's fascinating, if quaintly old fashioned—few new exhibits seem to have been added since it opened more than 130 years ago. Note that ticket sales stop one hour before closing.
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
We're beginning to plan a trip to Southern India for February.
We'd like to break the long economy class trip from New York to Bangalore into 2 parts.
We could also land in Mumbai, or Delhi, if one o Read more
· News & Features
In our inaugural Ask Fodor's column, one of our editors editor gives advice on how to travel by rail... Read more
Pack light and still look great on your next camping trip with these 10 low-maintenance beauty products.... Read more
Castles, lakeside resorts, bang-for-your-buck Hawaii finds, and dazzling hotel gardens—it's... Read more