Wolvendaal Church Review
Serving as a reminder that Sri Lanka was once a colony of the Netherlands, this beautiful Dutch Reform Church—the oldest in Colombo—dates from around 1740. The name, meaning "Dale of Wolves," refers to a time before the city expanded this far, when the area was still a swampy marshland roamed by wild beasts. The wolves in question were actually jackals, but apparently the early Dutch colonists couldn't tell the difference. Services (in Tamil and English) are still held here on Sunday mornings, and if you're lucky enough to encounter one of the enthusiastic curators, you may get treated to a personal tour of this historically fascinating building.
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
Gottravel and I spent 18 days of our 6 week SEASia trip in Myanmar. Read more
Just finished my travelogue on my December trip to Myanmar. Read more
Hi, I'm totally new to Fodor, so please be kind!
I've just booked flights to Japan and am trying to get my head round coming up with an itinery, which is proving harder than with any other trips I've done Read more
· News & Features
Techie travelers have embraced the fun, tech-driven, on-the-road adventure that is geocaching.... Read more
This week, we covered top destinations for great family getaways—from Disney World to dinosaur spotting.... Read more
Go on location in Görlitz, Germany, to the transporting set of director Wes Anderson's film... Read more