- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
- Japanese Phrases
At a Glance
- a great value
- steeped in tradition
- some rooms have private baths
- books up quickly
- a slower pace than most Westerners expect
Check Rates from our Partners
Ryori-Ryokan Tsurugata Review
Treat yourself to a stay—or perhaps just a fantastic dinner—at this charming ryokan built in 1774. The rooms are intimate and secluded, and the suite overlooking the 400-year-old garden is especially captivating. You can't go wrong with the fabulous, filling, traditional dinners that incorporate the best local delicacies, from fish to fruit. The same friendly and hospitable folks run the Kurashiki Kokusai Hotel, so some English is spoken and foreigners are welcome and pampered. The hotel is across the bridge from the Ohara Art Museum.
- Address: 1–3–15 Chuo, Kurashiki, Okayama-ken 710-0046
- Phone: 086/424–1635
- Location: Kurashiki
- 11 Japanese-style rooms, 3 with bath.
- Rate includes some meals.
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
Now that the flurry of November trip reports has come and gone (they were great!), I figure it’s time for one more, before the reports from spring cherry blossom-viewing visits start to come in. This Read more
After more than a month back from Japan, I’m happy to finally have a bit of a breather that allows me to start a trip report. Read more
I can't believe I've gone ahead and done it...I've booked flights to Japan...solo! I'm absolutely terrified and excited at the same time. The furthest I've been before is Korea, and I stayed with a friend Read more
· News & Features
In our inaugural Ask Fodor's column, one of our editors editor gives advice on how to travel by rail ... Read more
Pack light and still look great on your next camping trip with these 10 low-maintenance beauty products.... Read more
Castles, lakeside resorts, bang-for-your-buck Hawaii finds, and dazzling hotel gardens—it's... Read more