- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
- Japanese Phrases
Noto-hanto (Noto Peninsula)
Thought to be named after an Ainu (indigenous Japanese) word for "nose," the Noto-hanto, a national park, juts out into the Nihon-kai and shelters the bays of both Nanao and Toyama. Steep, densely forested hills line the eroded west coast, which is wind- and wave-blasted in winter and ruggedly beautiful in other seasons. The eastern shoreline is lapped by calmer waters and has stunning views of Tate-yama (Mt. Tate), the Hida Mountains, and even of some of Nagano's alpine peaks more than 105 km (70 mi) away.
A quick sightseeing circuit of the Noto-hanto, from Hakui to Nanao, can be done in six to eight hours, but to absorb the peninsula's remarkable scenery, stay two or three days, stopping in Wajima and at one of the minshuku along the coast; arrangements can be made through tourist information offices in Kanazawa, Nanao, or Wajima.
Noto-hanto (Noto Peninsula) at a Glance
Elsewhere in The Japan Alps and the North Chubu Coast
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- Book 3-Star APA Niigata-Higashinakadori in Niigata Fr $53+/Nt Save with Expedia, $11/night less
- Save in Niigata: Book 3 Nts in May Fr $88+/Nt Save with Expedia, $9/night less
- Toyama Savings! Book 3 Nts in May Fr $101+/Nt — $101 Expedia
- Book in Toyama: Save at the APA Toyama in May Fr $69+/Nt — $69 Save with Expedia, $26/night less