- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
- Japanese Phrases
Western Kyoto's most iconic sights are the opulent golden temple at Kinkaku-ji and the dazzling rock garden at Ryoan-ji, but the city's western precincts are filled with remarkable religious architecture. The sprawling temple complexes Daitoku-ji and Myoshin-ji are well worth a visit, as is the blossom-covered Kitano Tenman-gu, which hosts a fabulous market each month.
Western Kyoto at a Glance
- Daitoku-ji (Daitoku Temple)
- Domoto-Insho Bijutsukan (Domoto Insho Art Museum)
- Hirano Jinja (Hirano Shrine)
- Kinkaku-ji (Temple of the Golden Pavilion)
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's