- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
- Japanese Phrases
Gion Kappa Nawate
Gion Kappa Nawate Review
In contrast to the expensive kaiseki ryori restaurants favored by tourists, residents seek out just-plain-folks places like this one. It's a late-night izakaya specializing in robata-yaki, which is to say a casual bar-restaurant with a charcoal grill and great selection of meat, poultry, and vegetable dishes. Here it's common to order a variety of dishes to share. If there are no tables, find a seat at the long counter. The restaurant is two blocks north of Shijo-dori in the heart of Gion. Everything dish is ¥390, even the drinks. The friendly middle-aged men who work there enjoy using their broken English with tourists.
- Address: Sueyoshi-cho, Nawate-dori Shijo-agaru, Higashiyama-ku, Kyoto, 605-0085
- Phone: 075/531-1112
- Location: Eastern Kyoto
- No credit cards.
- No lunch.
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- $36 & up -- Japan Vacation Deals; Save up to $600 Featured Destination: Japan
We are back, and I am jotting down a few things quickly while my mind is still fresh.
First off: thanks to the many Japanophiles here on Fodors who infected us with their enthusiasm: hawaiiantraveller, Read more
Hokkaido, northern island is an amazing destination. Read more
I am planning a trip to Japan for Nov. Read more
· News & Features
Japan is not only a land for all seasons, it's a destination for all travelers.... Read more
There are infinite reasons to hit both Tokyo and Kyoto while visiting Japan (mochi donuts, anyone?). So,... Read more
This pass offers unlimited travel on Japan Railways (JR) trains...... Read more