Sprawling, crowded, and traffic-plagued Jakarta can easily confound and confuse visitors. Beneath its haphazard surface though, this swelling coastal capital of up to 18 million seems perched to live up to its name, "great victory." Seemingly everywhere, Jakartans are embracing the new, from thriving restaurant, bar, and club scenes to an astounding collection of malls with brand-name tenants. A true city of contrasts—rich and poor, traditional and ultra-modern—Jakarta preserves its history in museums and historic downtown Kota.
Jakarta at a Glance
Contacts & Resources
Elsewhere in Indonesia
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's