Sprawling, crowded, and traffic-plagued Jakarta can easily confound and confuse visitors. Beneath its haphazard surface though, this swelling coastal capital of up to 18 million seems perched to live up to its name, "great victory." Seemingly everywhere, Jakartans are embracing the new, from thriving restaurant, bar, and club scenes to an astounding collection of malls with brand-name tenants. A true city of contrasts—rich and poor, traditional and ultra-modern—Jakarta preserves its history in museums and historic downtown Kota.
Jakarta at a Glance
Contacts & Resources
Elsewhere in Indonesia
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- Indonesia Experience IExplore
- Temples of Bali & Borobudur IExplore
- Temples of Bali & Borobudur — $5,195 IExplore