Top Reasons to Go
Immerse Yourself in Balinese Culture. Bali is crowded with tourists, yes, but its rich art scene is not to be missed.
See Active Volcanoes. There are 160-plus in Indonesia; 2,600-foot Mount Lokon, in Sumatra, erupted in October 2012.
Go Diving. Some of the best scuba diving in the world is to be found in Indonesia and there are plenty of certification centers.
Discover Buddhism. UNESCO World Heritage side Borobudur, built in the 8th century, is the world's largest Buddhist monument.
Monkey Around. Walk through Indonesia's lush rain forests and you'll see Orangutans hanging about in their natural habitat.
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- Indonesia Experience IExplore
- Temples of Bali & Borobudur IExplore
- Temples of Bali & Borobudur — $5,195 IExplore