Top Reasons to Go
Immerse Yourself in Balinese Culture. Bali is crowded with tourists, yes, but its rich arts scene is not to be missed.
See Active Volcanoes. There are 160-plus in Indonesia; 2,600-foot Mount Lokon, in Sumatra, erupted in October 2012.
Go Diving. Some of the best scuba diving in the world is to be found in Indonesia, and there are plenty of certification centers.
Discover Buddhism. UNESCO World Heritage side Borobudur, built in the 8th century, is the world's largest Buddhist monument.
Monkey Around. Walk through Indonesia's lush rain forests and you'll see Orangutans hanging about in their natural habitat, as well as gibbons, macaques, and proboscis monkeys, the latter found exclusively on Borneo.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe