- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Fodor's Essential India
The Old Secretariat
The Old Secretariat Review
This heritage building, with sloping tiled roofs, wooden verandas, and carved stone coats of arms, occupies a pleasant spot by the Mandovi River and has several important associations. The first building on this site was the palace of the Sultan of Bijapur, who ruled Goa at the time of the Portuguese invasion. The building that the Portuguese erected in its place served as temporary quarters for the viceroys of Goa upon their arrival or departure from the territory until it became their permanent residence in the mid-18th century, when Old Goa was abandoned as the capital. In the early 20th century the Secretariat became a government office. It's slated to become a museum in the future, now that the legislature has moved to Porvorim.
- Address: Mandovi riverfront, Panaji, Goa 403001
- Location: Panaji
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
So on our FIFTH trip to India, we decided we'd had enough of the mess up north and decided to focus on one of the less-visited regions in search of India's amazing fauna. Read more
India is indeed a land of bright smiles and bright colors. Read more
Phew..Visa arrived. We did use a company in Houston to obtain visa and they arrived a week before we needed them.
Here is our itinerary:
We are staying i Read more
· News & Features
This week, we covered top destinations for great family getaways—from Disney World to dinosaur spotting. ... Read more
Go on location in Görlitz, Germany, to the transporting set of director Wes Anderson's film... Read more
Kick off spring with some of this year's best events and hotel packages in Washington, D.C.... Read more