- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Fodor's Essential India
The Old Secretariat
The Old Secretariat Review
This heritage building, with sloping tiled roofs, wooden verandas, and carved stone coats of arms, occupies a pleasant spot by the Mandovi River and has several important associations. The first building on this site was the palace of the Sultan of Bijapur, who ruled Goa at the time of the Portuguese invasion. The building that the Portuguese erected in its place served as temporary quarters for the viceroys of Goa upon their arrival or departure from the territory until it became their permanent residence in the mid-18th century, when Old Goa was abandoned as the capital. In the early 20th century the Secretariat became a government office. It's slated to become a museum in the future, now that the legislature has moved to Porvorim.
- Address: Mandovi riverfront, Panaji, Goa 403001
- Location: Panaji
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
Hello everyone! Read more
It’s time for this lurker to say thanks for all your help in planning for our recent visit to India and Nepal. Read more
I will be in India around mid May (11th) and would like to hire a reliable guide/driver to do the golden triangle for 4 days.
I went through the forum but there are so many information, so many Read more
· News & Features
For a lover of brews, there's no place quite like New Zealand.... Read more
Phu Quoc, a fishing island in the Gulf of Thailand, is a quiet refuge of serene beaches, phenomenal seafood,... Read more
Travel is as much about the journey as the destination.... Read more