This narrow, festive lane is filled with shopkeepers selling fabric and saris, including the well-known Ram Chandra Krishan Chandra's, where young brides choose their red-and-gold finery. The lane is named for its other industry: the fabulous paranthas (fried flatbreads) that are sold here in no-frills open-air eateries. Stuffed or served with a variety of fixings, such as radishes, soft cheese, and seasonal vegetables, paranthas are delicious. The parantha makers
moved into this lane in the 1870s, even though a couple of its original sari and jewelry shops still dot the lane. The three oldest and most famous of these parantha makers are Pundit Kanhaiyalal Durgaprasad (established in 1875), Pundit Dayanand Shivcharan (established in 1882), and Pundit Baburam Devidayal Paranthe Wali (from 1886). A few kitchens have seating, making them excellent places to refuel while looking upon photos of famous statesmen doing the same.
South off Chandni Chowk, en route to Kinari Bazaar, Delhi, India