- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
- Chinese Phrases
Home to more than 14 million people, Chengdu is what you want it to be: while some visitors seek out the pulsating nightlife, others are happy to while away the days strolling through the city's many parks or sipping tea and cracking sunflower seeds in one of its multitude of tea gardens.
Upon arrival, you may be a bit disappointed. Much of the traditional architecture of the charming Old Town has been razed to make room for modern high-rises. The city has been torn in half, literally, for the last several years as new expressways, a modern airport, and gleaming office towers push locals' tolerance and pollution levels sky-high.
Despite the rush to modernize, there is still much to see in terms of history and culture. Temples and memorials demonstrate Chengdu's position as the cosmopolitan capital of Western China. The city is also a great center for Sichuan cooking, famous for its spicy peppers, which many believe is the best in China. Chengdu has too many good restaurants to list, and the hole-in-the-wall around the corner may serve the tastiest Sichuan dishes you'll eat.
All roads into Southwest China lead through Chengdu. As the gateway to Tibet, this city is the place to secure the permits and supplies needed for your trip there. Journeys south to Yunnan or north to Xi'an pass through here as well. Lying in the middle of Sichuan Province, Chengdu is also a good base for excursions to the scenic spots dotting Sichuan. Like many big cities in China, Chengdu suffers from pollution. Bring eye drops, anti-bacterial wipes, and possibly even a face mask.
Chengdu at a Glance
- Du Fu's Thatched Cottage Museum (Du Fu Caotang)
- Giant Panda Breeding Research Base (Daxiongmao Bowuguan)
- Qingyang Gong (Qīngyáng gōng)
- Riverview Pavilion Park (Wangjiang Lou Gongyuan)
- Cakey Butta (Kǎ kǎ bì dā)
- Hong Xing (Hǒngxìng jiǔ jià)
- Huang Cheng Lao Ma (Huàng chéng lǎo mǎ)
- Lazy Pug (Lǎnbāgè xǐcāntìng)
- Buddha Zen Hotel (fóshēnwénhuà jiǔ diàn)
- Folk Inn (Fǔjīnfàndiàn)
- Fraser Suites (Rèn héng huǐ shèng gé guǒ jī góng yǔ)
- Jinjiang Binguan (Jǐnjiāng bīngguǎn)
- Lazy Bones Hostel
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's