Around 4 km (2.5 miles) out of town, set on high ground commensurate with its status, is the majestic Oude Drostdy Museum. Built by architect Louis Thibault in 1804, the structure was badly damaged by fire in 1934 and later by the 1969 quake, but it has been carefully restored and is a fine example of neoclassical architecture. The building now houses an impressive collection of antique furniture and artifacts. Look for the gramophone collection and the Dutch grandfather clock that has a picture of Amsterdam harbor painted on its face. As the original magistrate's house, the Drostdy had a cellar that served as the local jail; it's now used by Drostdy-Hof as a wine cellar. Linger and taste some of their flavorful and fruity wines.
Winterhoek Rd., Tulbagh, 6820, South Africa