- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Fodor's The Complete Guide to African Safaris
At a Glance
- option to harvest your own organic produce and enlist the help of a chef to prepare
- five additional rooms in the 17th-century manor house
- eight acres of organic landscaped gardens to wander
- restaurant typically serves lunch only
- in-cottage book selection dominated by Afrikaans titles
Check Rates from our Partners
Set on a 500-acre working farm that is one of the Cape's oldest, Babylonstoren is a bucolic vision in white. Flanking an oak and pepper-tree lined lane, a dozen lovingly renovated laborer's cottages retain their thatch roofs and whitewashed purity outside. Inside, a farmhouse-chic style is created by mixing sleek modern furniture with farm antiques, and framed botanical illustrations. Cottages look out over eight-acres of lush fruit and vegetable gardens (containing over 300 edible species), set against the dramatic Drakenstein mountains. Guests are welcome to harvest and prepare their own meals (six cottages boast state-of-the-art kitchens), or sit back and enjoy the brilliant and inventive meals at Babel Restaurant. With a fabulous location between the legendary wine estates of Franschhoek and Stellenbosch, a full spa, and a dam with canoes for guest use, this gorgeous oasis of organic calm will both delight and restore.
Garden of Eden
When urbanites wax romantic about getting back to the land, Babylonstoren is what they probably have in mind. Farmhouse antiques comingle with sleek modern furniture in light-filled, restored laborers' cottages. The setting, on a 500-acre working farm—surrounded by the dramatic Cape winelands—features views of purple-hued peaks and gardens bursting with an aromatic and exotic bounty. Taking the farm-to-table concept to the height of designer chic, Babylonstoren guests can harvest their own feast, or relax in the spa while the excellent restaurant does the work for them.
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
Just spent 34 days in South Africa - Madagascar - South Africa - Swaziland - Botswana - Namibia - and Zimbabwe - traveled over 4,000 miles by road - took 10 flights - did the trip with the help of Jenma Read more
This was a mostly self-drive trip, and not our first to South Africa (first time in Kgalagadi though). Read more
I probably sound like all the rest of the posts.....
I won't know until April whether I am going to J'burg, SA on business for 2 weeks in late May and/or early June. I visited 2 years ago, but couldn' Read more
· News & Features
This week, we covered top destinations for great family getaways—from Disney World to dinosaur spotting. ... Read more
Go on location in Görlitz, Germany, to the transporting set of director Wes Anderson's film... Read more
Kick off spring with some of this year's best events and hotel packages in Washington, D.C.... Read more