- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
At a Glance
- option to harvest your own organic produce and enlist the help of a chef to prepare
- five additional rooms in the 17th-century manor house
- eight acres of organic landscaped gardens to wander
- restaurant typically serves lunch only
- in-cottage book selection dominated by Afrikaans titles
Set on a 500-acre working farm that is one of the Cape's oldest, Babylonstoren is a bucolic vision in white. Flanking an oak and pepper-tree lined lane, a dozen lovingly renovated laborer's cottages retain their thatch roofs and whitewashed purity outside. Inside, a farmhouse-chic style is created by mixing sleek modern furniture with farm antiques, and framed botanical illustrations. Cottages look out over eight-acres of lush fruit and vegetable gardens (containing over 300 edible species), set against the dramatic Drakenstein mountains. Guests are welcome to harvest and prepare their own meals (six cottages boast state-of-the-art kitchens), or sit back and enjoy the brilliant and inventive meals at Babel Restaurant. With a fabulous location between the legendary wine estates of Franschhoek and Stellenbosch, a full spa, and a dam with canoes for guest use, this gorgeous oasis of organic calm will both delight and restore.
Garden of Eden
When urbanites wax romantic about getting back to the land, Babylonstoren is what they probably have in mind. Farmhouse antiques comingle with sleek modern furniture in light-filled, restored laborers' cottages. The setting, on a 500-acre working farm—surrounded by the dramatic Cape winelands—features views of purple-hued peaks and gardens bursting with an aromatic and exotic bounty. Taking the farm-to-table concept to the height of designer chic, Babylonstoren guests can harvest their own feast, or relax in the spa while the excellent restaurant does the work for them.
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- Save at 5-Star dysART Boutique: $129 & Up in Jun Expedia
- Small budget: Stay in Cape Town Central this Jun Fr $192+/Nt Expedia
- 5-Star Cape Town Central Sale! 4 Nts + Air Fr $2344 Expedia
- See Africa on the MSC Sinfonia (MSC Cruises)! Fr $699 Expedia
- Special deal: 4-Star Strand Tower Fr $81+/Nt — $81 Expedia
My husband and I live in Cape Town and it has been our home for the past 25 years – I am from the England.
Most vacations we travel to some far away land with lots of advice from all you guys o Read more
Including international travel from the US and transfers between parks and countries, the entire duration of this trip is about 3 weeks total.
I did the nontraditional part at the start of the trip, bu Read more
At a vaguely spur of the moment , as we say here in Yankeeland, we are consdeiring a Mid-late 2013 September trip to CapeTown, Londolozi, and one other game park, not self -drive, destination) (Or, perhaps Read more
· News & Features
With a burgeoning food and drink scene, gorgeous green spaces, and festivals galore, Philly should be... Read more
In Spain, the gin and tonic (called "gin tonics") is an art form with carefully chosen gin and small-batch... Read more
Hong Kong is known for great food, buzzing nightlife, inspiring attractions, and for having one of the... Read more