- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
La Motte Estate
La Motte Estate Review
This estate is owned by a branch of the same Rupert family that owns L'Ormarins, and is a partner in Rupert & Rothschild, a vineyard closer to Paarl. The elegant and rather formal tasting room, with its long marble-top table at which you sample the wines, looks into the cellars through a wall of smoked glass. The 2007 La Motte Shiraz, which needs about five years to reach its peak, is one of the biggest and boldest you'll taste of this variety, full of rich flavors. The 2007 Pierneef Collection Shiraz-Viognier is being snapped up for its whiffs of dark chocolate, smoked beef, black cherry, and blackberry. This wine is named in honor of the famous South African artist J. H. Pierneef, who was well known for his stunning landscapes from the first half of the 20th century. There are no cellar tours.
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- Save at 4-Star Protea Victoria Junction: $101 & Up in Jun Expedia
- Save Big This Jun! Book 3 Nts in Cape Town Central Fr $105+/Nt Expedia
- Save at 4-Star Hotel: 4 Nts + Air to Cape Town Central Fr $2132 Expedia
- 8 Nt Cruise on Sale: See Cape Town Central Fr $849 Expedia
- Save in Cape Town Central: Book 3 Nts in Jun Fr $129+/Nt — $129 Expedia
My husband and I live in Cape Town and it has been our home for the past 25 years – I am from the England.
Most vacations we travel to some far away land with lots of advice from all you guys o Read more
Including international travel from the US and transfers between parks and countries, the entire duration of this trip is about 3 weeks total.
I did the nontraditional part at the start of the trip, bu Read more
At a vaguely spur of the moment , as we say here in Yankeeland, we are consdeiring a Mid-late 2013 September trip to CapeTown, Londolozi, and one other game park, not self -drive, destination) (Or, perhaps Read more
· News & Features
You've heard of Lake Como (thanks to George's exploits), but halfway between Milan and Venice lies Italy's ... Read more
Need we say more?... Read more
On the tip of Mexico's Baja Peninsula, sun-drenched Los Cabos draws in everyone from honeymooners and... Read more