- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
A long avenue of pines leads to this lovely estate, which traces its origins to 1692. The magnificent 1814 Cape Dutch manor house looks out across formal rose gardens to the Stellenbosch Valley and the Hottentots Holland Mountains. There's even a large play area, complete with jungle gyms, for kids. The wines produced on this estate and those from its sister farm, Stellenzicht, are highly regarded, so be prepared for a rush of tour buses during high season. The gewürztraminer is an off-dry, very elegant wine with rose-petal and spice aromas, and the Weisser Riesling Noble Late Harvest is one of the best of its kind, having scooped up almost every local award since 1990. The farm's flagship wine, Lord Neethling Laurentius—a blend of cabernet sauvignon, cabernet franc, merlot, and Shiraz—is definitely worth stockpiling. Try the food and wine parings: you'll have traditional fast food (pizza, burgers, chicken nuggets) paired with its wines. You get a box with a small piece of each food to try with different wines. The whole idea is to show that wine goes with everything—not just fancy food!
- Address: Neethlingshof Estate, 7599 Polkadraai Rd. (M12), Stellenbosch, 7604
- Phone: 021/883-8988
- Cost: Tastings R30; food and wine pairings R70; cellar tours R5
- Hours: Weekdays 9--5, weekends 10--4 (may stay open about 2 hrs later Dec. and Jan.); cellar tours by appointment.
- Website: www.neethlingshof.co.za
- Location: Stellenbosch
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- Cape Town Central Savings! Book 3 Nts in May Fr $161+/Nt Save with Expedia, $28/night less
- Book 3-Star Sweet Lemon Boutique Bed & Breakfast Fr $55+/Nt Expedia
- 5-Star Cape Town Central Sale! 4 Nts + Air Fr $2126 Expedia
- Hot Deal on a 9 Nt Cruise! Royal Caribbean International Fr $659 Expedia
- Save at 3.5-Star Protea Breakwater Lodge: $107 & Up in May — $107 Save with Expedia, $35/night less
My husband and I live in Cape Town and it has been our home for the past 25 years – I am from the England.
Most vacations we travel to some far away land with lots of advice from all you guys o Read more
Including international travel from the US and transfers between parks and countries, the entire duration of this trip is about 3 weeks total.
I did the nontraditional part at the start of the trip, bu Read more
My family - which includes our two 14 year-old children - are considering a 2 week trip to South Africa at the end of July. Read more
· News & Features
Montenegro is heating up, and for good reason.... Read more
You're all ready to go to Disney—the kids are packed, you've got good walking shoes.... Read more
Love 'em?... Read more