- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Fodor's The Complete Guide to African Safaris
A long avenue of pines leads to this lovely estate, which traces its origins to 1692. The magnificent 1814 Cape Dutch manor house looks out across formal rose gardens to the Stellenbosch Valley and the Hottentots Holland Mountains. There's even a large play area, complete with jungle gyms, for kids. The wines produced on this estate and those from its sister farm, Stellenzicht, are highly regarded, so be prepared for a rush of tour buses during high season. The gewürztraminer is an off-dry, very elegant wine with rose-petal and spice aromas, and the Weisser Riesling Noble Late Harvest is one of the best of its kind, having scooped up almost every local award since 1990. The farm's flagship wine, Lord Neethling Laurentius—a blend of cabernet sauvignon, cabernet franc, merlot, and Shiraz—is definitely worth stockpiling. Try the food and wine parings: you'll have traditional fast food (pizza, burgers, chicken nuggets) paired with its wines. You get a box with a small piece of each food to try with different wines. The whole idea is to show that wine goes with everything—not just fancy food!
- Address: Neethlingshof Estate, 7599 Polkadraai Rd. (M12), Stellenbosch, 7604
- Phone: 021/883–8988
- Cost: Tastings R30; food and wine pairings R70; cellar tours R5
- Hours: Weekdays 9–5, weekends 10–4 (may stay open about 2 hrs later Dec. and Jan.); cellar tours by appointment.
- Website: www.neethlingshof.co.za
- Location: Stellenbosch
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
Just spent 34 days in South Africa - Madagascar - South Africa - Swaziland - Botswana - Namibia - and Zimbabwe - traveled over 4,000 miles by road - took 10 flights - did the trip with the help of Jenma Read more
This was a mostly self-drive trip, and not our first to South Africa (first time in Kgalagadi though). Read more
I probably sound like all the rest of the posts.....
I won't know until April whether I am going to J'burg, SA on business for 2 weeks in late May and/or early June. I visited 2 years ago, but couldn' Read more
· News & Features
Techie travelers have embraced the fun, tech-driven, on-the-road adventure that is geocaching.... Read more
This week, we covered top destinations for great family getaways—from Disney World to dinosaur spotting.... Read more
Go on location in Görlitz, Germany, to the transporting set of director Wes Anderson's film... Read more