- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Describing Spier as simply a wine estate is doing it an enormous disservice. The vast complex comprises a manor house, wine cellars, wine and farm shop, rose garden, restaurants, equestrian facilities, a conference center, an open-air amphitheater featuring a variety of performances during summer, and a cheetah park, where you can watch the animals being fed daily between 1 and 2. A "private encounter" or photograph with a cheetah costs around R80 per person for an adult cat and R180 for a cub. It's all designed in Cape-country style, with whitewashed walls and thatch roofs, set along the verdant north bank of the Eerste River. So, yes, it's seriously touristy, but still delightful. The Spier wines go from strength to strength. The latest flagship wine is the Frans K. Smit 2004, named after its winemaker. Also try the cabernet sauvignon 2008 or the consistently good and well-priced 2008 chardonnay that's been highly rated by wine fundis (experts). Be warned that this estate gets very busy during summer and on public holidays.
- Address: R310 (Lynedoch Rd.), Stellenbosch, 7599
- Phone: 021/809-1100
- Cost: Informal tasting R10, educational tasting R20, reserve-wine tasting R20, cheese and wine tasting R35 for 3 wines and 3 cheeses
- Hours: Daily 9--5, tasting 10--4:30
- Website: www.spier.co.za
- Location: Stellenbosch
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- Cape Town Central Savings! Book at Taj Cape Town Fr $161+/Nt Save with Expedia, $28/night less
- Book 3-Star Sweet Lemon Boutique Bed & Breakfast Fr $55+/Nt Expedia
- Cape Town Central 4-Star Hotel Sale! 4 Nts + Air Fr $1972 Expedia
- 3 Nt Cruise! See Africa with MSC Cruises Fr $439 Expedia
- May deal: Sunshine Letting Apartments Fr $74+/Nt — $74 Expedia
My husband and I live in Cape Town and it has been our home for the past 25 years – I am from the England.
Most vacations we travel to some far away land with lots of advice from all you guys o Read more
Including international travel from the US and transfers between parks and countries, the entire duration of this trip is about 3 weeks total.
I did the nontraditional part at the start of the trip, bu Read more
I have been attempting to book a trip to Africa for a year now, not sure I am any closer to an itinerary. Read more
· News & Features
Memorial Day is the unofficial start of what we like to call "weekend getaway season."... Read more
Wineries have a very obvious main draw.... Read more
The Aran Islands (Inishmore, Inishmaan, and Inisheer) are three small, but adventure-packed islands o... Read more