Fodor's The Complete Guide to African Safaris
At a Glance
- game comes right to your door (watch out for hyenas stealing your braai meat)
- lovely location
- churlish staff
- no shop or restaurant
Check Rates from our Partners
Mpila Camp Review
In the central Imfolozi section of the park, Mpila is humbler than Hilltop Camp and more reminiscent of some of Kruger's older camps. Choose among 12 fully equipped one-room chalets with ensuite bathroom, kitchenette and deck, 2 three-bedroom cottages (these come with a cook who will prepare the food you've brought with you) 6 self-catering chalets, and in the Safari Tented camp, 13 two- and four-bed self-catering tents with ensuite bathrooms. Three luxurious lodges with resident chef and ranger are also available. Gas is available, but you can only buy curios and sodas at the camp shop, so stock up with groceries before you arrive. Be sure to book your bush walks and game drives on arrival, as they work on a first-come, first-served basis.
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
My husband and I just returned from a wonderful trip to South Africa, Swaziland, Zimbawe & Botswana. Read more
Just spent 34 days in South Africa - Madagascar - South Africa - Swaziland - Botswana - Namibia - and Zimbabwe - traveled over 4,000 miles by road - took 10 flights - did the trip with the help of Jenma Read more
We now know where in SA we want to go and when (mid August to early September 2015) but need advice on best routing.
We want to stay at 2 to 3 private reserves (3 nts each) bordering Kruger (hopefully, Read more
· News & Features
For a lover of brews, there's no place quite like New Zealand.... Read more
Phu Quoc, a fishing island in the Gulf of Thailand, is a quiet refuge of serene beaches, phenomenal seafood,... Read more
Travel is as much about the journey as the destination.... Read more