Fodor's The Complete Guide to African Safaris
At a Glance
- superb game and a bird-watcher's paradise
- very child-friendly
- open fires on cold nights
- white rhino sightings increase during the dry season
- expect lots of guests
- kids dine with adults
Check Rates from our Partners
Main Camp Review
This camp has Mediterranean style and a sophistication that is refreshing after the hunting-lodge decor of some other lodges. Track lighting and dark-slate flooring and tables provide an elegant counterpoint to high thatch ceilings and African art. A massive, double-sided fireplace dominates the lodge, opening onto a lounge filled with comfy sofas and chairs on one side and a dining room on the other. Dinner at Ngala is quite formal (kids on their best behavior, please!); it's served in a reed-enclosed boma or a tree-filled courtyard lighted by lanterns with crystal and silver. Air-conditioned guest cottages, in mopane shrubveld with no views, comprise two rooms, each with its own thatch veranda. Rooms make extensive use of hemp matting, thatch, and dark beams to create an appealing, warm feel.
- Location: Timbavati Game Reserve
- 20 rooms, 1 suite.
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
Just spent 34 days in South Africa - Madagascar - South Africa - Swaziland - Botswana - Namibia - and Zimbabwe - traveled over 4,000 miles by road - took 10 flights - did the trip with the help of Jenma Read more
This was a mostly self-drive trip, and not our first to South Africa (first time in Kgalagadi though). Read more
I probably sound like all the rest of the posts.....
I won't know until April whether I am going to J'burg, SA on business for 2 weeks in late May and/or early June. I visited 2 years ago, but couldn' Read more
· News & Features
Techie travelers have embraced the fun, tech-driven, on-the-road adventure that is geocaching. ... Read more
This week, we covered top destinations for great family getaways—from Disney World to dinosaur spotting.... Read more
Go on location in Görlitz, Germany, to the transporting set of director Wes Anderson's film... Read more