At a Glance
- great river views
- exciting, unique nighttime frogging expeditions
- off the beaten track
AmaKhosi Lodge Review
In the heart of northern KwaZulu-Natal, amid countryside that South African author Alan Paton would have described as beautiful beyond any singing of it, this spectacular lodge overlooks the Mkhuze River, which carves its way through mountains, rolling hills, open plains, thick thornveld, and riverine bush. Birdlife is abundant, the Big Five are all here, and rangers work hard to find game, instead of relying on animals habituated to vehicles, as at some of the older camps. Superb air-conditioned suites (big enough to swing a pride of lions) have huge decks from which you can survey the river below. The staff excels, from management right down to the friendly gardeners, and the food would put many a posh restaurant to shame. Dine under the stars on a sprawling deck overlooking the river, in a gracious dining room if the weather is inclement, or in the staff-built branch-enclosed boma, entertained by local schoolchildren who practice their singing and dancing hard to help pay their school fees. For something very different, try a frog or insect safari: after a bush braai, you'll be supplied with gum boots and miners' lamps, and led on a hunt for more than 30 species of these fascinating and little-known creatures with the resident frog or insect expert.
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- $3299 -- 10-Nt. South Africa Adventure w/Air, $300 Off Friendly Planet Travel
- Essence of South Africa (12-Day) IExplore
- Cape Town & Namibia — $3,939 IExplore
- Essence of South Africa (14-Day) — $12,790 IExplore
- South Africa - Black Culture Experience — $3,259 IExplore
My husband and I live in Cape Town and it has been our home for the past 25 years – I am from the England.
Most vacations we travel to some far away land with lots of advice from all you guys o Read more
Including international travel from the US and transfers between parks and countries, the entire duration of this trip is about 3 weeks total.
I did the nontraditional part at the start of the trip, bu Read more
At a vaguely spur of the moment , as we say here in Yankeeland, we are consdeiring a Mid-late 2013 September trip to CapeTown, Londolozi, and one other game park, not self -drive, destination) (Or, perhaps Read more
· News & Features
Earlier this week, Consumer Reports released their annual study of the best and worst domestic airlines.... Read more
From the steamed cider aromas that hit you in the lobby to the local ingredients served in the restaurant,... Read more
You might not expect to find yourself amongst wine grapes a mere 75 miles outside of New York City.... Read more