Fodor's The Complete Guide to African Safaris
Pilanesberg National Park
Pilanesberg National Park Review
The 150,000-acre Pilanesberg National Park is centered on the caldera of an extinct volcano dating back 1.3 billion years that may well have once been Africa's highest peak. Concentric rings of mountains surround a lake filled with crocodiles and hippos. Open grassland, rocky crags, and densely forested gorges provide ideal habitats for a wide range of plains and woodland game, including rare brown hyenas, sables, and gemsbok. Since the introduction of lions in 1993, Pilanesberg (pronounced pee-luns-berg) can boast the Big Five. One of the best places in the country to see rhinos, it's also a bird-watcher's paradise, with a vast range of grassland species, waterbirds, and birds of prey. You can drive around the park in your own vehicle or join guided safaris with Pilanesberg Mankwe Safaris. The entertainment and resort complex of Sun City is nearby.
- Address: R556, | Map It
- Phone: 014/555–1600
- Cost: R20 per vehicle, R45 per person
- Hours: Mar., Apr., Sept., and Oct., daily 6am–6:30pm; May–Aug., daily 6:30–6; Nov.–Feb., daily 5:30am–7pmCheck Web site for changes.
- Website: www.pilanesberg-game-reserve.co.za
- Location: Pilanesberg National Park
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
Kilimanjaro Safaris typically operates until sundown. Read more
Just spent 34 days in South Africa - Madagascar - South Africa - Swaziland - Botswana - Namibia - and Zimbabwe - traveled over 4,000 miles by road - took 10 flights - did the trip with the help of Jenma Read more
Family of 5 heading out to Johannesburg arriving 26.7.14 want to hire a 4x4 and self drive from SA into Botswana, then into Zimbabwe, then back to Johannesburg to depart 25.8.14 (31 days). All attempts Read more
· News & Features
Stunning beaches, tantalizing food, and veritable vino—we're all about epicurean excellence ... Read more
A history of Moleskine notebooks and a blog for safari lovers are among the things we've been reading... Read more
Nassau is an easily accessible, fun-packed destination for adults and kids alike.... Read more