- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Ecce Homo Convent of the Sisters of Zion
Ecce Homo Convent of the Sisters of Zion Review
The arch that crosses the Via Dolorosa, just beyond Station II, continues into the chapel of the adjacent convent. It was thought to have been the gate of Herod's Antonia fortress, perhaps the spot where the Roman governor Pontius Pilate presented Jesus to the crowd with the words "Ecce homo!" ("Behold, the man!"). Recent scholarship suggests otherwise: it was a triumphal arch built by the Roman emperor Hadrian in the 2nd century AD.
The basement of the convent has two points of interest worth about 20 minutes of your time: an impressive reservoir with a barrel-vault roof, apparently built by Hadrian in the moat of Herod's older Antonia fortress, and the famous lithostratos, or stone pavement, etched with games played by Roman legionnaires. The origin of one such diversion—the notorious Game of the King—called for the execution of a mock king, a sequence tantalizingly reminiscent of the New Testament description of the treatment of Jesus by the Roman soldiers. Contrary to tradition, however, the pavement of large, foot-worn brown flagstones is apparently not from Jesus' day, but was laid down a century later.
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- Super Sale! Flights to Tel Aviv From 627 R/T ASAPTickets.com
- Book 3 Nts in Tel Aviv this May Fr $190+/Nt Save with Expedia, $19/night less
- Crowne Plaza Tel Aviv City Center in May: $186 & Up Expedia
- Book in Tel Aviv: Save this May Fr $103+/Nt — $103 Save with Expedia, $18/night less
- Save in Tel Aviv: Book 3 Nts in May at Leonardo Basel Fr $162+/Nt — $162 Expedia
Our trip to Israel was the most extraordinary journey that we have ever experienced, and we travel often. Read more
January 2013 - One short week - 3 nights Tel Aviv, 2 in Eilat, 1.5 in Jerusalem.
This was my 7th trip to Israel and I lived there for a year way back in 1998. I've already seen most of the sights, so Read more
We've been to Jerusalem, but missed the Israel Coast. Read more
· News & Features
Earlier this week, Consumer Reports released their annual study of the best and worst domestic airlines.... Read more
From the steamed cider aromas that hit you in the lobby to the local ingredients served in the restaurant,... Read more
You might not expect to find yourself amongst wine grapes a mere 75 miles outside of New York City.... Read more