- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Arabic Phrases
Picturesque and cheap, Alexandria's trams are likely to take four to five times longer to get where you're going than a taxi would. The main station is Raml, near Maydan Sa'd Zaghlul. Buy tickets onboard.
Blue trams (25 pt) run east: numbers 1, 2, 6, and 8 terminate at al-Nasser (formerly Victoria) College, Tram 3 at Sidi Gabr (by the sea; a two-hour trip), Tram 4 at Sidi Gabr Station, and Tram 5 at San Stefano. Yellow trams (25 pt) run west: Tram 16 goes to Pompey's Pillar (a 40-minute trip), Tram 11 to the Nouzha Gardens, and Tram 15 to Ras al-Tin. Numbers are marked—only in Arabic—on cards in the front windows, but the newer trams now have maps inside.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe