- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Arabic Phrases
Taxis are the best way to get around Alexandria. They are very inexpensive, and you can flag them down almost anywhere. If you're alone and male, you're generally expected to sit in the front; women and couples can sit in the back. The reason for the men-in-front rule is that the driver might try to pick up another passenger en route—it's standard practice, so don't be surprised.
Drivers don't use their meters, so you have to guess at the appropriate fare. A ride within Downtown should be E10 to E15; from Downtown to Montazah (15-30 minutes), roughly 6 km (10 mi), about E30. If you look rich, expect to pay a bit more—this is a progressive system: elderly widows often pay little, whereas prices double, at a minimum, if a driver picks you up at a five-star hotel. There are no radio taxis in Alexandria, but major hotels always have taxis waiting.
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- Egypt Experience IExplore
- Egypt Family IExplore
- Egypt & Kenya Experience — $7,749 IExplore
- The Nile Revealed — $6,895 IExplore
- Egypt Family — $1,849 IExplore