Your Best Packing Tips: Flying with the 3-1-1 Rule
Your turn – what are your tips for packing liquids in your carry-on?Photo Credit: Jet Set Girls Weekender Kit courtesy 3floz.com
Member Comments (7) Post a Comment
Agree with BuffCrone - towelettes are the way to go. (Liquid hand santizers are a no no on internal flights in China because they contain alcohol.) Even sample perfume bottles have leaked - save the perfume sachet samples that come in magazines - wipe on the wrists and behind the ear lobes and you'll smell grand!
Tiny jars are wonderful things! I don't need an entire 3oz bottle of face lotion, just a dab each day. A tiny jar takes up about 1/4 of the space and saves a bit of weight. Since buying a pack of a dozen different size tiny jars at WalMart, I've found 100 uses for them!
Two tiny toothpaste tubes often fit in a ziplock easier than a larger 2-3oz tube.
I was sick of the dry skin from hand sanitizers. So I've become addicted to Herban Essentials, which are antibacterial towelettes with amazing scents. I wipe my hands and then use them to wipe of the arm of the airplane seat and the tray table. Then everything smells nice and is a least a little bit cleaner. And since they are towelettes, they don't have to go in the plastic bag, as hand sanitizer does. I tuck them into my coat pocket, purse, briefcase, and use one every time I am sitting in a public place, or touching something (like an escalator) that exposes me to germs! I can't tell you how much they have helped me avoid getting sick during travel. http://www.amazon.com/s/?ie=UTF8&keywords=herban+essentials+towelettes&tag=googhydr-20&index=aps&hvadid=4388062005&ref=pd_sl_649sljtg72_e
on Sep 12, 11 at 05:46 PM
Thanks for all of the great suggestions! Any other carry-on products that you don't leave home without?
I tried toothpaste tablets!
These are the kind of useful tips that travelers need - good job!
Instead of bringing a bottle of cologne I bring a couple of sample size colognes that I've received from a purchase to cut down on liquids and weight.
Container Store carries many of the small travel bottles.
Fodor's Top News & Features
- 10 Last-Minute Beach Getaways for Summer
- 10 of Hemingway's Favorite Haunts
- 20 Best Day Trips in the U.S.
- 15 Best Beer Gardens in the U.S.
- Long Weekend in Lisbon
- Best Credit Cards for Travelers
- How to Cure Jet Lag
- How to Renew Your Passport
- Wine Lover's Guide to South Africa
- Seafood Lover's Guide to Brittany, France
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- $1647 & up -- Dublin & Giant's Causeway Trip w/Air & ToursGreat Value Vacations
- $1417 & up -- 6-Nt. Ireland Bed & Breakfast Vacation w/AirGreat Value Vacations
- $2999 -- Spain: 7-Night Culinary & Wine Cruise on WindstarWindstar Cruises
- $2999 -- 7-Night Luxury Cruise to Tahiti on WindstarWindstar Cruises
- $638 & up -- Costa Rica Volcano & Beach 5 Nts. w/Air & CarTripMasters.com
- $125 -- San Juan 4-Diamond Hotel, 45% OffSheraton Puerto Rico Hotel & Casino