The 7 Best Pet-Friendly Hotel Chains

March 29, 2012 at 11:10:00 AM EDT | Post a Comment

Gone are the days of sneaking your dog into your hotel room in the dead of night. With over half of U.S. households claiming a furry family member, the hospitality industry is rolling out the red carpet for dogs, with a wide range of amenities and services from plush beds to canine room service and even spa treatments. These seven upscale brands are the leaders of the packwith the most pet-friendly accommodations. Tip: Pet fees and weight limits vary, so be sure to call ahead and always bring current vaccination records.—Ginger Warder

TheRod on August 29, 2016 at 1:51:08 PM EDT

Pet friendly for almost all hotels is a misnomer. Most are only dog friendly. Surprising given that cats are cleaner than dogs! I totally agree tbat the unacceptably high surcharges most places charge are anything but a hosing of pet owners.

TheRod on August 29, 2016 at 1:51:06 PM EDT

CFrance on August 29, 2016 at 10:31:19 AM EDT

Ridiculous to include hotels charging $75 and up in this article, when there are top-quality hotels charging nothing. $150 to $250 for a stay? No way. Plus... the larger the dog, the larger the bladder and the better housebroken they are, IMO. Not to mention the small dog barking. I'll pit my golden's behavior up against a little dog any day.

fiontain on February 13, 2014 at 6:22:47 AM EST

Very good article. And it is great to see more and more hotels and chains including all members of the family. It can be a difficult finding someone to take care of the family pet while traveling

krisfarring on June 25, 2012 at 6:22:51 PM EDT

If anyone is interested this hotel chain, Accent Inns, is very pet friendly in BC Canada. I have used them in Victoria and Richmond a few times and they treat my golden as a valued guest just like me.

MaxWinebrenner on August 22, 2011 at 3:48:56 AM EDT

Books constitute capital. A library book lasts as long as a house, for hundreds of years. It is not, then, an article of mere consumption but fairly of capital, and often in the case of professional men, setting out in life, it is their only capital. please check it out

Loves2Travel2 on July 11, 2011 at 10:36:15 PM EDT

Loved the Pet Friendly hotels list! The photos were well done! Children carry more germ and pee in beds and on carpeting more than most dogs do. Children are also louder and more disruptive than most dogs. If you stay in hotels with children you can handle staying in a hotel with pets. When we stay in a hotel with our little dogs, many of the guests ask to pet the dogs and our "babies" put a smile on other guests' faces.

luisa1825 on July 4, 2011 at 4:00:57 AM EDT

it is really a good news for my baby. yeah!

transcona on July 2, 2011 at 12:42:58 PM EDT

The comments are reflective of so many other issues in North American society which polarize groups from politics to social values. I would have hoped the love of travel would have superseded "the culture wars" but the comments clearly reflect a lack of tolerance or understanding. We travel a lot; with our beloved pets when possible but often without and understand both points of view. People will vote with their pocketbooks and if hotels attract pet-owners with poor habits there will be economic consequences. I would simply suggest that anyone travelling with pets be courteous, considerate of others and conscientious in cleaning up after their pets. Then again, it only takes a very small number of bad pet to ruin it for the rest of us but the same can be said for school groups, sports teams etc. What a shame that the travelling public can't even agree on these fundamentals "rules".

Tom_Severns on June 29, 2011 at 7:30:38 PM EDT

Fodor's and I disagree as to what constitutes "pet friendly" lodging. I don't believe any hotel that imposes additional fees for pets is pet friendly regardless of how many pet amenities they offer. When I travel with my dog we always stay at La Quinta - and leave our room in no worse shape than most travelers. At most any hotel calling itself pet friendly might charge a REFUNDABLE deposit. The idea that a room where a dog has slept needs $100 worth of extra cleaning is ridiculous - and insulting.

Kinnie4 on June 29, 2011 at 6:59:46 PM EDT

Although most pet-friendly hotels do specify certain rooms for pets, responsible owners would NEVER allow their pet to "pee in the bed" or any arbitrary place. If I take my small pet to a hotel with me, she goes out regularly and if I must leave the room for a short time, she goes in the bathroom with a fabric potty pad which she is well trained to use.

on June 29, 2011 at 6:00:03 PM EDT

I am very surprised that Fodors didn't include the Accor hotel group in its list. All their brands - from the no-star Formule 1 to the luxury Sofitels - are pet friendly. We have had great stays with our English cocker at Accor properties across Europe. As for MikeC, in the U.S., the majority of hotels still don't accept pets, so you have plenty of choices. Better stay far from France and Belgium, where most hotels (and restaurants!) allow pets and you should probably avoid Germany, Austria and Switzerland too, as dogs are welcome at the many hotels there.

cmeyer54 on June 29, 2011 at 4:57:59 PM EDT

We've found that most of the starwood properties welcome pets. Our wheaton has stayed at several sheratons, four points and westins, been welcomed and never had a hassle. I find it odd that the Starwood hotels roll out the red carpet but their vacation ownership properties (condos etc) refuse pets of any kind! as owners, we're very frustrated!!

MIKEC on June 29, 2011 at 4:52:31 PM EDT

I guess RWBentley didn't read the part where I stated that I won't stay at a pet friendly hotel, and also the part where I stated that I owned and loved dogs most of my life,( I'm 70) and I would never think of taking my dogs on a trip with me to encroach on fellow travelers. And please ,don't tell me that these dogs don't sleep in the beds at these hotels. Don't tell me that dogs don't have accidents a pee on the rugs or worse. You may think that your dog is the greatest I don't. I will bet that if you took an unbiased poll of hotel users most travelers would feel as I do. I have friends who are dog owners who stayed with us at the Jupiter LaQuinta and were totally disgusted with what we saw there. They put their dog in a kennel when traveling. Mike C.

RWBentley on June 29, 2011 at 2:28:24 PM EDT

I really take issue with the comments aobut the Jupiter , Florida LaQuinta. We travel coast to coast with our 80 lb. Weimaraner (Wegman type) and we love LaQunta because it's dog-friendly-with no caveats of size(stupid..little dogs bark most, are often more aggressive)) and no extra fees or room limitations. Most places seem to have good, clean acccommadations as most pet travelers are consiencious about cleaning up afte their pets. We need reliability of a decent place to stay while traveling and cannot scour the internet endlessly with singular or small hotel/motel chains when travelling coast to coast. Hey, babies crying, diaper waste and three year old brats running, yelling and drawing on the walls should command deposts or fees! Pet travlers need some assurance of places to stay and we've found LaQuinta to be the largest and best motel chain widely available without rip-off astonomical fees or smokey restrictive rooms 9a problem with Best Westens). Some Comfort Inns are pet friendly. but varies with location. MIKEC would relegate a huge number of dog owners who need to travel to little choice for accomdations-so why don't the dog haters simply go to the majority of pet banning facilites-which are most of the market still-and avoid Crapping on our parade!

gregntexas on June 29, 2011 at 2:14:51 PM EDT

I recently stayed at the LaQuinta in Biloxi, MS. It was a pet friendly hotel. It was very nice, clean and there were not any issues related to the pets that were in the hotel. In my past experiences with hotels/motels there have been many problems with peoples children miss behaving and not problems pets. Dogs and cats are as much a part of today's American society and families as are children. I think it's only fair to provide accomodations for travelers that have their four-footed family members with them.

MIKEC on June 29, 2011 at 11:54:00 AM EDT

Thanks for the list of Dog Dirty hotels that I can add to my list. This is a copy of my letter to LaQuinta Hotels. You may love your dog but I don't. Where does this leave those of us who don't want to sleep in a bed, in a room where there is dog dirt and dog pee? I really think that these hotels should have kennels for these dog guests. Their owners can stay in there with them. Same goes for cats. “DOG DIRTY” Reviewed 6 March 2011 1person found this review helpful I have to share this email that I sent to the LaQuinta hotel chain. it is about unsanitary conditions. I'm sure dog lovers will take issue , however being a dog owner for many of my 70 years, I would never let this happen with my dogs, I have more respect for my fellow travelers. Hear is my email to LaQuinta; Our recent stay at the Jupiter LaQuinta was enough to convince my wife and I never to stay there again. 1) Your Pet friendly program is an disgrace to clean living travelers. We saw large dogs crap outside the hotel and their owners not clean up their mess, leaving the outside of the hotel a pig sty , the dogs then prance inside the hotel and go to the rooms with dog dirt on their paws. I have to believe that the dogs jump onto the beds. The very bed that some unknowing traveler will sleep in. 2) The hotel is dirty ,dust on the lobby tables filthy carpets show the lack of unclean attitude of the hotel management. We will never stay there again, and will warn others of this hotel. I told the desk clerk about this and was informed that LaQuinta wants the income from dog owners. Well they won't get any more income from us. Disgusted with LaQuinta, Mike & Marge Concordia Rewards # W2062913 P.S. We have stayed here a few years ago and didn't experience this. This time we booked another room for our friends and were embarrassed that we did. We will never stay at a "pet Friendly " Hotel again. Stayed February 2011, travelled as a couple Value Location Sleep Quality Rooms Cleanliness Service

TAKE OUR SURVEY See Terms and Conditions