Fodor's Expert Review General Land Office
The only surviving government building from Austin's first 30 years owes its Gothic style to its German-born and -trained architect, Conrad Stremme. This 2½-story structure of stuccoed stone and brick was opened for business in the spring of 1858 as the first home of the Land Office. Writer O. Henry worked as a draftsman here and used the building as the setting for two of his short stories. In 1989 the legislature approved a $4.5 million renovation project to restore the building to its 1890s appearance. The structure now houses permanent and traveling exhibits, the Capitol Visitors Center, and a gift shop.