Fodor's Expert Review Wat Sisaket
A courtyard with 6,840 Buddha statues stops the show at this intriguing temple-monastery complex across from Ho Phra Keo. Built in 1818 by King Anou, the temple survived Vientiane's 1828 destruction by the Siamese army, and the monastery, still active, remains intact in its original form. The courtyard contains little niches and large platforms with Buddhas of all sizes. The impressive temple hall underwent some restoration in 1938. The intricately carved wooden ceiling and doors still impress, but time has taken its toll on the paintings that once covered the hall's walls.