Fodor's Expert Review Ticho House
This handsome, two-story, 19th-century building was the home of Dr. A. A. Ticho, a renowned Jewish ophthalmologist, and his wife, Anna. He moved from Vienna to Jerusalem in 1912, and his cousin, Anna, followed soon after, to assist him in his pioneering struggle against the endemic scourge of trachoma. They were soon married, and in 1924 they bought and renovated this stone house. Anna's artistic talent gradually earned her a reputation as a brilliant chronicler—in charcoal, pen, and brush—of the landscape around Jerusalem. Ticho House, which operates as a branch of the Israel Museum, has recently been restored, giving more exhibition space for the Ticho story, a selection of Anna Ticho's works, and changing, intimate exhibitions of contemporary Israeli art. The upper level houses an Italian café called Anna.