With sunnier and possibly sweltering days ahead, now's the time to update your skincare regimen to reflect the new season. Though you may have your go-to beach vacation sunblock at the ready, an everyday version is just as necessary. But rather than slather on the thick, white stuff, reach for something that offers protection without making you look like a beach bum. Below, check out five of our favorite everyday sunscreens that are editor-tested and -approved.
1. Elta MD Clear UV Broad-Spectrum SPF 46 for acne-prone or sensitive skin ($30): This brand is a favorite among dermatologists, and for good reason: The high-quality formulas offer the latest technology without luxury price tags. This high-factor sunscreen goes on smooth with minimal chalkiness—no small feat considering the formula includes a mineral sunscreen. This specific lotion is also oil-free (but still features plenty of hydration with hyaluronic acid), which prevents greasy midday meltdowns.
2. Coola Face SPF 30 Cucumber Matte Finish ($36): This San Diego-based skincare company is a rising star among those who prefer natural ingredients. The organic perks in this cucumber-scented, preservative-free formula include shea butter, evening primrose, and rose hip and flaxseed oils. The matte finish offers an added bonus, since it can double as a primer under makeup.
Recommended Fodor’s Video
3. La Mer 'The Broad Spectrum' SPF 50 Daily UV Protection Fluid ($85): If you have the budget for a luxury treat, few SPF formulas top La Mer's triple feat of texture, finish, and protection. The liquid formula goes on sheer and absorbs quickly, while providing just the right amount of moisture for humid days.
4. SkinCeuticals Physical UV Defense SPF 50 ($34): Especially when traveling, it's best to choose beauty items that can do more than one thing. Enter SkinCeuticals SPF 50 fluid, which has a subtle universal tint that evens out slight imperfections (those who tan easily may want to try the brand's clear formula instead). It offers enough coverage that you can forgo foundation for daytime looks. Skincare enthusiasts also tout the formula's plankton extract, which supposedly increases skin's defenses to heat stress.
5. La Roche-Posay Anthelios 40 Cream with Mexoryl SX ($35.99): It's no secret that European and Asian sunscreen brands are years ahead in new technologies and ingredients (some of which have yet to be reviewed or approved by the FDA). La Roche-Posay, a French company was one of the early adopters of Mexoryl SX, the first filter that actually blocks short UVA rays and which was specifically approved by the FDA only for Anthelios sunscreen. With a broader spectrum covered, you're less likely to burn or experience sun damage. Plus, the cream formula is wonderfully spreadable for those with drier skin.