"Honeymoon Cottage" on St. John

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 3rd, 2005, 05:47 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am considering renting this villa from Terry Witham (http://www.stjohnusvi.org/new_page_2.htm). Has anyone stayed at this villa or had dealings with Terry? It looks perfect for us and I like the location. Thanks.
-Bill
Old May 3rd, 2005, 12:55 PM
Original Poster

ttt
Old Jun 13th, 2005, 09:38 AM

Bill,
Did you ever get a response on this? I am looking at it too, and was wondering about it. Know Francis Bay and it's a perfect location.
Sami
Old Jun 14th, 2005, 09:18 PM

i have not seen this cottage but the location is perfect!! Francis Bay is one of my favorite beaches.i have not stayed at but toured 2 other properties of Terry's and they are top notch, well cared for and she is a very friendly, honest person. she has lived and worked for many years on st.john. i would not hesitate to rent from her. she would be very helpfull with island info.this is paradise, don't waste time book it !!
Old Jun 15th, 2005, 05:10 AM

The review on USVI, as Bill said, was very positive and that was before the remodeling. It appears to now have a full kitchen with granite countertop. Big upgrade from a two burner hotplate.

Anyone who's been to St. John knows this is a prime location.
Old Jun 15th, 2005, 08:06 AM

We rented Villa Serenity from Terry last month. This villa is two homes away from the honeymoon cottage. Terry let us into the honeymoon cottage after a rental had left. What a neat place! It's newly remodeled but you would swear it's brand new. It's small, the photos on the web site are pretty good. The kitchen area is top class, it has a walk-out outside shower area that is to die for. The deck has a great view, there is a hot tub in an area about 50 feet away from the villa with a small outside lounge area/bed for "fun". Has great AC! We will most likely rent this next year if only the two of us are going

The house is within walking distance of Francis Bay beach, we were lazy and drove given we had chairs, cooler and other assorted stuff. Francis Bay beach is my favorite. NEVER crowded and plenty of shade for the hot afternoons.

Terry is great, she is the best rental agent we have dealt with. We have been going to STJ for 10 years. Good luck-do it!
Old Jun 15th, 2005, 09:55 AM

iamg:It looks really nice.I am curious..how much is it for a week?I would like to consider it on our next trip to St John.
Old Jun 15th, 2005, 04:22 PM
Original Poster

Thanks coachguy! That is just the sort of feedback I was hoping for.

christie,

It rents for $300 a night high/ $200 a night low.

-Bill
Old Jun 15th, 2005, 04:24 PM

thanks bill that is not bad at all.
Old Oct 30th, 2005, 05:11 PM

I'm seconds away from booking "Honeymoon Cottage" from Terry but still have a couple of reservations, such as: what is bug situation (inside & out)? In the photos the property looks like sort of a treehouse (Terry says she has it sprayed for bugs once a week... eek!). Also, what is Mary's Creek view? Am hoping it has a fab view of Leinster or Francis. And what does "separate" garden bathroom & shower mean? Place sounds lovely but am just a little concerned with quality/cleanliness. Terry sounds great, tho, and I'd love to hear lots more details if anyone out there can find time to get back to me via my email. Many thanks!
Old Oct 30th, 2005, 06:43 PM
Original Poster

We decided to book this villa. I am also concerned about bugs, but am glad to hear that she has the place sprayed! That's great.

Here's a review of the place before it was remodeled.

http://www.virgin-islands-on-line.co...19201402.shtml

They replied to a post of mine on usvi-on-line and said they are staying there again in December. Hopefully they will post a review.

-Bill

Old Oct 31st, 2005, 08:54 AM

Mary's Creek is not some small creek, it is a part of Leinster Bay, kind of like a lagoon or small bay, very pretty. A separate garden shower and bathroom means that the toilet and sink indoors but the shower is outside in a garden setting. Spraying for bugs once a week is not because the place is overrun with insects but in order to keep the premises in a condition acceptable for guests, it is best to keep the outdoors out. If they have AC, that means it is probably going to be pretty low on bugs. We have a small cottage type house set in the woods with AC throughout and the bugs seem to hate the cold. We also have a garden shower and at first I thought it would be weird or buggy showering at night, but I love it! Not buggy at all. Warm weather means bugs, can't get around it. That's anywhere. Plenty of bugs in Maine in the summer. Bring plenty of DEET based bug spray and you should be fine. We also enjoy dining outdoors on our porch and the way we've created a bug free environment is to strategically place 2 stand-up oscillating fans which just blow those buggies away.
Old Oct 31st, 2005, 09:08 AM

Dear Tuxedocat (& Bill),
Thanks so much for your reply about Honeymoon Cottage! Guess my main concern is that it looks so "jungly" in the photos and I'm quite worried about those big old mahogany bugs running around at night - also, the bug net on bed looks like things might get hairly (or buggy, I should say). But then again, the A/C should beep the bug factor down as you said. Has anyone out there ever seen TRANQUILITE COTTAGE overlooking Fish Bay? It is part of Guavaberry Farms. Am really torn between this and Honeymoon - any comments would be very welcome - need to make a choice soon. Thanks again.

Lamour
[email protected]
Old Oct 31st, 2005, 12:30 PM
Original Poster

tuxedocat,

Your comments and contributions are alwyas "right on". I love outdoor showers too. The place we rented on Kaua'i last summer had one. It was great!

I believe the outdoor gazebo at HC has a ceiling fan which will probably help to keep the bugs away.

Good luck lamour!

-Bill
Old Oct 31st, 2005, 06:25 PM

Hello iamg! Have you looked into the HILLCREST GUEST HOUSE? It is a beautiful place with beautiful rooms and great views and will save you money. Go to www.hillcreststjohn.com to check it out.
Old Oct 31st, 2005, 07:08 PM

just my opinion...Hillcrest cannot compete w/Honeymoon Cottage.Hillcrest is in cruz bay/no real privacy and you can't walk to a stunning beach/Francis/ but of course you can walk into town, if thats a priority. also imo you can't beat an outside shower!!
Old Nov 1st, 2005, 04:40 AM
Original Poster

don,

We booked H.C. already and we are happy with that decision.

Thanks,

-Bill
Old Nov 28th, 2005, 01:04 PM

Can you see the ocean from the Honeymoon Cottage?
Old Nov 28th, 2005, 03:01 PM

I would imagine so since it's a 5 minute walk to Francis Bay.
Old Nov 28th, 2005, 07:26 PM
Original Poster

eks,

Here is what Terry (the rental agent) e-mailed me about the views.

"The views look at the BVI's, especially Tortola. You also see Leinster Bay and Waterlemon Cay. (This is arguably the best snorkeling area on island). It is perched above Mary's Creek which changes color as the hours change."

-Bill

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -