For Those Who Stayed at Wyndham Sugar Bay 1996-2000

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 31st, 2003, 07:10 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wyndham International is currently involved in a child sex abuse scandal at its Wyndham Sugar Bay resort. Four children have already come forward with reports of sexual molestation by Wyndham Sugar Bay kids club counselor, Bryan Hornby. Hornby has already been convicted of assaulting one of these children and further criminal charges are pending.

Wyndham International assisted the defense of Hornby at his criminal trial-despite the fact that they knew of multiple victims- and they continue to pay for the defense of Hornby in civil suits brought by the families of two of the young victims. In addition, Wyndham is using every possible intimidation tactic to bully these families into dropping their law suits. This includes asking a judge in St Croix to order a further sexual assault exam of one of the young victims-this, three years after she was assaulted and with her attacker in jail.

Wyndham International is also blocking the release of the names of all children who were in Hornby?s care and are preventing the parents of those children from discovering that Hornby is now a convicted pedophile. There is a strong belief that there could be tens of dozens of children who were also assaulted by Bryan Hornby during his employment at Wyndham resorts-particularly as he assaulted three children in just one week.

So if you know of anyone who stayed at the Wyndham Sugar Bay hotel or the Wyndham Palma Del Mar resort between 1996 and May 2000, and had their children in the care of Bryan Hornby, please contact:

Mike Caplin, Childhelp USA at 703 208 1530.

Daniel Armagh, National Center of Missing &Exploited Children at 703 837 6337
Old Aug 1st, 2003, 05:32 AM
Original Poster

ttt
Old Aug 4th, 2003, 12:54 AM

ttt
Old Aug 4th, 2003, 09:19 AM

Thank you, thank you, thank you. My little girl was in that kid's club for 5 days and was never right after. We have her in psychotherapy 4 days a week and she is in a classroom for emotionally disabled children. I have contacted the phone numbers listed and they are very helpful.

Threehearts
Old Aug 5th, 2003, 06:22 AM

I spoke, last evening with the mother of one of the children who was raped and this story is completely true and can be referenced through The Source(St.Thomas newspaper). It is just disgusting that the Wyndham will not release the names of the children in this pedophile's "care."
Bryan Hornsby had molested children in the U.S. and had the Wyndham checked his references, they would have known. Makes you think twice about leaving your children in a kid's club, doesn't it?
Old Aug 5th, 2003, 10:49 AM

ttt -- oh my gosh! This is horrible.
Old Aug 7th, 2003, 08:00 AM

bump
Old Aug 7th, 2003, 08:27 AM

I am surprised not to have heard more on this subject. I hve even done a google search.
Old Aug 7th, 2003, 12:46 PM
Original Poster

If you have any doubts as to the authenticity of this information, I encourage you to contact the individuals listed in my original post.
Old Aug 7th, 2003, 05:28 PM

Misha,

I am in no way sayng that I have
"doubts as to the authenticity of this information"

If true I am horrified!

I do find it VERY sad "hard" to believe that there has been such little response to this post.....

Fodors can get 50+ responses to "what island has the best beach", or "where can I go for the best shopping"

I admit I can be "guilty" of focusing on such questions
Old Aug 8th, 2003, 03:23 AM

I was able to find archive information on the one initial case but the newer charges against Hornby are not mentioned. I believe there may be many more victims as this man was employed in Wyndham child care centers for years. I just can't believe his references weren't checked. My sources after exhaustive searches are-
The Virgin Islands Daily News-March 31, 2001
same paper- May 17, 2001
same paper- May 4, 2000
St. Thomas Source May 21, 2001

I am also seeing this story get more publicity recently. I'm sure the outraged parents, like myself are slowly hearing about what may have happened to their children at the Wyndham as well.
Old Aug 12th, 2003, 06:05 AM

I am a good friend of the parents whose child was a victim of Bryan Hornby while staying at the Wyndham Sugar Bay hotel. This story is indeed and sadly enough true. You can read about his convitction in the The Journal (www.jrnl.net) at http://199.244.139.109/dcwww?-show:c...27_001_001.dcs

I am also outraged how the Wyndam has handled this situation. They paid for Hornby's defense and take no responsiblity for the behavior of one of their employees. I personally, as well as my family and friends, will NEVER again stay at a Wyndham hotel. I'd rather sleep in my car. It's obviously safer!
Old Aug 15th, 2003, 05:10 AM
Original Poster

tt
Old Aug 15th, 2003, 05:26 AM

This is such an awful situation. My heart goes out to all those affected by this horrid person.

Topping.
Old Aug 15th, 2003, 06:12 AM

Misha, even though this occurred in the Caribbean, I suggest you re-post your original post on the US board. After all, anyone affected probably won't be going back to the tropics anytime soon, and most were probably Americans. The US board has a huge readership - this will help get the word out!
Old Aug 15th, 2003, 06:14 AM

And another thought: if you use "sexual molestation at Wyndham Sugar Bay" in your title, EVERYONE will read it.
Old Aug 15th, 2003, 07:24 AM
Original Poster

Good ideas. I'll do it right now.
Old Aug 15th, 2003, 07:58 AM

What happened to being innocent until PROVEN guilty? I smell a rat a.k.a. a lawyer.
Old Aug 15th, 2003, 08:08 AM

I haven't read all of the posts but have read most of them and didn't detect a rush to judgement, maybe I missed it. I too agree in the presumption of innocence but tend to think that if an ambitious lawyer can prevent the future abuse of a child it is better to err on the side of caution. Just my opinion...
Old Aug 15th, 2003, 08:17 AM

It's called getting together as many people as you can so you can get more out of the hotel. This encourages everyone who ever stayed at the hotel to go back and check their records to see if there is a possibility their child was in said molestor's care so they too can get some money without having to work for it. This is a solicitation and against Fodor's rules of posting.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -