Search

Tanzania Safari with OAT

Search this Thread

Old Dec 29th, 2007, 02:27 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tanzania Safari with OAT

A friend and I are scheduled to go to Tanzania in mid February on a tour entitled "Safari Serengetti" and will include Arusha,Tarangire, Ngorongoro Crater, Serengetti National Park and Olduvai Gorge.

If any Fodorites have done this tour or one similar and have suggestions, we would welcome some help. We are both going to travel clinics beforehand so hopefully will get all the medical advice and innoculations we need to keep healthy.

Question of what to bring in the way of clothing is foremost in our minds so as not to overpack with stuff we won't need. Aside from a good sun shielding hat, does one wear slacks (vs Bermuda shorts) all of the time while there to ward off insects and the sun? We plan to bring long-sleeve shirts for daytime wear. Where can we buy shirts (women's), hopefully on line, that provide UV protection? Evenings are apparently "chilly." Will a long sleeved turtle neck shirt with light jacket over it be sufficient or overkill? We will not be doing any extensive hiking, so will a good pair of walking shoes be o.k. vs. hiking boots?

Has anyone found the need to get Tanzanian money beforehand? My husband tried to get me some as a Christmas present and none was readily available in the big city where we live. Friends who did this same trip said they used American dollars and some Euros for tipping etc. and never found the need for Tanzanian currency. I always feel "when in Rome...," but it would be nice not to have to deal with money changing.

Any suggestions beyond the extra packages of tissues, hand sanitizers, Tums and other tummy/intestinal products, Tylenol etc. etc.?

We greatly look forward to this trip. We have both done some traveling to other parts of the world, but this is our first trip to Africa. Any comments to help us be better prepared, so that we can get on to the core part of the trip with ease and enjoy all that the safari has to offer, would be welcome.

(Yes, we did note the earlier postings on this site a few months ago from a traveler who was "bumped" from this same trip by OAT. Before we booked this trip we had a "chat" with an OAT rep to be sure that this would not happen to us! We were assured that it would not! Stay tuned.
Old Dec 29th, 2007, 03:53 PM

Anne, we will probably pass your jeep somewhere on the circuit as we'll be there for the third straight year at the same time as you.

For clothes, we just bring a couple pairs of pants with the zip off legs but almost always leave the lower leggings on. For shirts we have long-sleeve fishing shirts from someone like Offshore Angler with plenty of pockets and sleeves that roll up and button so they can be used as either long-sleeve or short sleeve. Couple of those is enough, avoid black or blue.

It only felt chilly to us on the rim of Ngorongoro crater and a fleece pull-over was warm enough.

For local currency, I feel it's optional to exchange $$ and you will be fine with US currency, except check that the bills (especially 50's and 100's) are new since they won't take old bills due to concerns about counterfeiting. We usually exchange about $200 US into Tz shillings (the guide stops at an exchange on the way out of Arusha the first morning) since some things are 20-30% cheaper if you pay with shillings, and any we don't spend we include as part of the guide's tip, but usually we are spending the last few shillings at the airport on sodas before the flight home, so $200 was about right for us for two weeks. But using dollars is OK too. For sure don't bother trying to find shillings before you get to Tanzania.

Bill
Old Dec 30th, 2007, 04:04 AM

February is summer in Tanzania, so daytime temps will be high. The zip-off pants are good, but should you decide to zip-off the bottoms, be sure to apply sun protection to exposed legs and even arms if you burn easily. Even with pop-tops, the sun gets thru.

Evenings will be cool, but not cold except maybe at the rim of the crater, but a jacket of some sort should be packed just in case.

If you change any USD to Tanzanian Shillings, a small amount only. Maybe $100, for local purchases or camp tips. Remember, TSH are not reconvertible to USD when leaving the country, so use what you have beforehand.

You don't need anywhere as much clothing as you think; items can be laundered for a small fee, but women's "wears" usually are not (bring enough for the trip, unless you choose to do some hand laundry... bring soap flakes).

Otherwise, OAT should provide helpful information.
Old Dec 30th, 2007, 09:38 AM

Hi Anne-

For a fun romp through a packing list thread with plenty of info, see this thread - you will see a packing list emerge at the end that was developed with lots of experienced fodorites input!

http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...p;tid=34802443
Old Dec 31st, 2007, 05:52 AM

Convertible (zip-off) pants are great, because you can adjust how much sun and mosquito protection you need. If you are in a pop-top, your legs are not getting a lot of sun, so if it's hot it's nice to be able to zip off the legs.

I like wearing a short sleeve shirt (T-shirt style, but in a quick-dry material), with a light long-sleeved shirt on top--again, it gives flexibity in terms of sun/bug protection.

I went on the OAT 'best of Kenya and Tanzania' trip, so the itinerary was different from yours, but I did not need hiking boots. I took sturdy comfortable sneakers, and sport sandals, and that worked great.

As far as UV protecting shirts go, I have to admit that I don't quite understand the necessity -- I've never gotten sunburned through my clothes, only in the areas not covered by clothes.

Don't worry about not having Tanzania money beforehand. Like you, I normally do like to bring local currency with me, but it is a little different on the tour. Just tell your trip leader that you want to exchange a little money, and he will bring you to a safe place to do so. If you haven't had a chance to exchange money yet, and you need something that you cannot buy with dollars, your trip leader will purchase it for you--it is his job to make your trip easy! But you would be amazed at the number of places that accept dollars. Bring lots and lots of $1 and $5 bills.

As far as clothes go, OAT has an obsession with recommending polo shirts. The material is too heavy and they take too long to dry! I think that what they really mean is don't wear T-shirts with tacky slogans. Also, they always suggest that women bring a skirt, but that also is unnecessary unless you simply like to wear skirts anyway. The main thing is to wear clothes that are comfortable, easy to wash, and quick drying.

Avoid navy blue and black for daytime wear (since it may attract tse-tse flies) and avoid bright colors such as red, since it offends other travellers (although there is a difference of opinion as to whether it really matters when you are in a vehicle).

Other hints are to spray or soak your clothes before you go with insect repellent. (This is a different substance from the kind you put on your skin, is less toxic, and it lasts through several washes).

Bring Sawyer's controlled-release DEET repellent (the theory is that the formula manages to give the same effectiveness as higher concentration products). I used it, and it seemed to work about the same as what everyone else was using.

Browse the net for a sale on buff kerchiefs.

Bring a travel journal, and write down your adventures.

I wrote a bunch of hints in my trip report, so if you are interested in it stories about another OAT trip, you can search for "Ann's adventures in Africa".

Have fun!!
Old Dec 31st, 2007, 10:37 AM

We were on the exact OAT trip last year, late Jan.to Feb.-Loved it!! I came to this board today to relive the wonderful memories and high level of expectation we were feeling at this time last year. OAT takes very good (sometimes too good) care of you and will stop for some local currency, which we did use at some of the Maasai villages where they asked for it. The clothing advice is right on, you don't need much-we, and everyone, used the duffle OAT sent us and do not bring more luggage, there is no room. A skirt is not necessary, but a dressier outfit is nice for the nights at the Ngorongoro Farm House which is lovely. You'll love the tents-they are amazing! We did the pre-trip also and were so glad we did. We travel a lot and have gone with OAT a few times, but this was really very special. I remember being surprised that so many posters have gone on multiple trips to Africa. Now I understand. Enjoy!
Old Dec 31st, 2007, 10:47 AM

Skirts -

While not necessary, unless as Ann mentions, you prefer wearing; may have a special dinner somewhere. However, when it comes to bush potty calls, it's much easier to be wearing a skirt then pants, crops, or shorts!
Old Dec 31st, 2007, 06:25 PM

I ordered 2 "sun tees" from shadyladyproducts.com

They are INCREDIBLY comfortable, and coming from someone who takes her t-shirts very seriously, that's a high compliment!
Old Jan 1st, 2008, 08:38 AM
Original Poster

Thanks, Ann_NYC, for your advice on some of my clothing questions. I always overpack, but definitely will not be able to do so on this trip with its strict limits, so your info is very helpful to me.

I'm curious, however, about your advice about spraying or soaking one's clothes in an insect repellent before going on the trip. You mentioned it is less toxic than the kind one sprays on one's skin and will last through several washings. What is it called and where can you get it? Does it have any lingering odor detectable to the wearer? Has anyone else had experience doing this?

OAT has sent us a complimentary duffle bag, the size we are required to use on the trip. Did those of you who used them find that they held up? I recently heard of a traveler who used one and it was in bad shape before the end of the safari, so that she had to buy another one (at the airport) before flying back to the US.

I am struck by all the enthusiasm
from those of you who have been to this area of Africa. I am SO LOOKING FORWARD to going.
Old Jan 1st, 2008, 11:26 AM

My husband and I both used the OAT duffles in Africa and are still using them-they held up fine.
Old Jan 1st, 2008, 11:48 AM

The spray for your clothing is permethrin. You spray it on your clothing before you leave and it should last through a couple of washings. I wouldn't call it "less toxic" than insect repellent, though, as you are advised to wash it off your skin and spray in a well-ventilated area. A more permanent solution is Ex Officio's "Buzz Off" line of clothing. That said, you probably won't encounter many bugs on your trip.

I've also been on OAT's Safari Serengeti a few years ago. My sister used the OAT duffel and liked it. It held up quite well. I use the Rick Steves Back Door Bag, which is sized to carry on and can also be worn as a backpack. I've used this bag on safari since 2000. It probably doesn't hold as much as the OAT duffel, however. Once you arrive in Arusha, you won't be carrying your bag until you leave. Kibo, OAT's safari outfitter for this trip, will take good care of you!

A good pair of walking shoes should be all you need. You might do a walk with the Maasai at your Tarangire-area camp, but it won't be a hike. While on game drives, you'll stand up on the seats when you stop to observe wildlife, so kick off your shoes when you get in the vehicle. That's easier if they are sandals or walking shoes. A pair of sandals would be helpful around camp and in your tent at night.

Kibo's vehicles have the rooftop "clam style" openings where the hatches fold back, rather than the pop-tops that go up. I like this style, as you don't have the pop-top supports in the way when photographing. However, you don't have any shade that way, so bring a wide-brimmed hat for sun protection. You won't be staying on the Crater rim, so the cooler temps there won't be an issue. Still, the evenings might be a bit cool... layer! A light jacket should be enough. The suggestion of a T-shirt and overshirt is a good idea, too. Just make sure the T-shirt isn't white.

As you'll need to wash your own underwear ("ladies' smalls&quot, you might want to take a clothesline and some packets of Woolite. The clothesline I use looks like braided rubber bands.

If you want a few Tanzanian schillings, you can exchange some dollars at Mama Wilson's. You won't really need them, however, as even the Maasai will accept your dollars.

Enjoy your safari!
Old Jan 12th, 2008, 10:08 AM

We leave on our OAT Safari Sergengeti in 2 weeks and I've found all the information posted here very helpful. I have a question about money. OAT recommends each person bring $500 or $600 US cash and an additional $300 if you are doing the pre or post trip. We are doing the pre-trip to the Foothills of Kilimanjaro. Using OAT's guideline, we would need to bring about $900 cash each. I'm curious what other people have done. We usually use ATM's and use the local currency for tipping. Bill H said they usually exchange about $200 and that's enough. Bill, did you use US money for tips? Thanks
Old Jan 12th, 2008, 10:25 AM

<b>Bill H said they usually exchange about $200 and that's enough. Bill, did you use US money for tips?</b>

We tip the guide in US funds. The Tanzania currency was used at some lodges and at smaller stores we'd stop at to buy small items. At some lodges there was maybe a 20-30% difference in price if you paid in one currency or the other, depending on the lodge's exchange rate.

If you're mainly at the lodges and tourist areas then dollars are fine, but if you wander a bit to the smaller stores then they will probably welcome Tz currency. This is not a big thing to worry about, if your group leader stops somewhere and says 'this is where we can exchange $$ to shillings' I'd do it but if not don't worry, you'll still be OK.

Bill
Old Jan 12th, 2008, 10:28 AM

joyce -

I figure $25/day/person for tips, divided as $10/guide, 5/camp staff, 5/tracker (if), 10/misc*. which for 13/days would be $325.

*allows me to give more where deserved, or towards your beverages - alcoholic and non-alcoholic and water.

You probably have a group leader, so have to consider this.

There aren't many ATMs in Tanzania, but you can have guide stop at a Currency exchange to get some local currency to use to roadside purchases. $100-$200 is good, but remember, TSh are NOT reconvertible to USD on departure so use whatever is left towards camp or guide tips.

If you make big purchases of sourvenirs, many of the Heritage shops take credit cards; or if you wish to pay your lodge/camp bar bills - be sure to ask whether they assess a fee (many do); this will be in addition to the Foreign Currency Exchange fee most credit cards assess whether billed in TSh or USD in a foreign country.

USDs are widely accepted, but these should be in good condition - not folded, torn, stapled, taped; no older than 2003; the new larger faces for those $5, 10, 20 &amp; 50 bills and the tri-color green ($20s) and shades-of-tan ($10s); lots of $1s.
Old Jan 13th, 2008, 08:50 AM

The OAT &quot;trip leader&quot; is your lead guide, one of the three you'll have. You might want to tip him extra, but you'll find that all your Kibo guides will be great.

You won't need TZ shillings anywhere, even at the Maasai Village. The lodges and camps such as Mama Wilson's, Maramboi or Lake Burunge, and the Farmhouse all have gift shops, as well. You can use your credit cards at the Farmhouse. They even have the Internet there, if you'd like to use it. They usually stop at the T-Shirt Shack near Karatu, where all shirts are $10.

Sandi's tipping guidelines are good. The only question is how much you'll need for extras such as drinks, laundry and souvenirs. The laundry and drinks are free in the mobile tented camp. One note: the tipping guidelines for the mobile tented camp are higher; I'd say $8 a day.

To summarize, $300 to $400 per person cash should be MORE than enough! Take different sized bills including smaller ones to handle miscellaneous tips such as Maasai walking guides, entertainers at the Farmhouse, &quot;skycaps&quot; at the airport, etc. You'll tip your guides at the end of the trip, so you can use larger bills there. You'll also tip at the camps and lodges at the end of your stay, so you'll be tipping for 2 to 3 days.
Old Jan 13th, 2008, 12:43 PM
spy

Hello. I am a real neophite here. .... I've just bought tickets for Tanzania for April and now need to secure a safari company. Who is/are OAT and how do I contact them as they sound like a good place to start. Is it possible to tell them how long I wish to safari and let them recommend an itinerary, or should I get more specific??

Thanks.
Old Jan 13th, 2008, 12:59 PM

www.oattravel.com

They offer set group itineraries, so you can only choose from the departure dates and itineraries that they offer. Also I don't know how much of a discount they allow, if any, if you don't take their included airfare.
Old Jan 14th, 2008, 05:03 AM

One post says &quot;no black or blue shirts&quot;, and another says &quot;no white T-shirts&quot;.

Why? Because of the heat?

Sooo, what colours? I had already laid out a brown and white T-shirt.
Old Jan 14th, 2008, 05:12 AM

<b>One post says &quot;no black or blue shirts&quot;, and another says &quot;no white T-shirts&quot;.

Why? Because of the heat?</b>

Black and blue attract tsetse flies, which are vicious biting insects, and the last thing you want to do is become a walking tsetse fly amusement park.

White is OK but many feel it is too noticeable to the game animals, even from the jeep, so recommend avoiding it.

<b>Sooo, what colours?</b>

Brown, green, tan ... if you're not in tsetse fly country even blue or black, but black will be hot.
Old Jan 14th, 2008, 05:17 AM

mydogspud, the reason for 'no dark blue or black' is that these colors seem to attract tse-tse flies. That is only relevant during the day, so it's ok if you want to wear those colors at night.
The reason for 'no white' is that it is simply a bright color, and some people feel that it alerts the animals. On the other hand, if you are in a vehicle, they probably have noticed something anyway, so it's not critical. Another reason is simply that it gets really dirty, especially during the dry season.

Spy, OAT is known for it's 'value' tour prices, but part of how they accomplish that is by getting great deals on their included airfare -- in other words, I believe they will accomodate passengers who want to book their airfare separately, but they won't give you as much money off as the amount you would spend. It doesn't hurt to ask. Also, be aware that while it is true that you have to fit into an existing tour with set dates, they often have additional departures that are not listed in the brochures or the website, so it doesn't hurt to ask.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -