Reload this Page >

Good novel suggestions:THE SEQUEL

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 13th, 2000, 07:54 AM
Bookish

Hello, fellow travel obsessors. thanks to this forum, I not only had a fanatastic trip to Paris this summer, I also discovered some new authors/books (result of a great thread <BR>seeking a paper travel companion). Any more suggestions? Can't wait for your replies! <BR>PS I love mysteries,historical fiction. <BR>

Old Sep 13th, 2000, 08:04 AM
lisa

Just finished "The Poisonwood Bible" by Barbara Kingsolver and absolutely adored it. Actually, I also got the book on tape so I could "read" while exercising, and hearing the language was even better than reading it. It does fall into the "historical fiction" category -- about a white American family from the segregated south in the 1950s who move to the Congo to be missionaries (the colonial/political situation there provides a factual backdrop for a fictional story), but it actually unfolds almost like a mystery since the book opens with a prologue by the mother that foreshadows the events that take place. The story is told through the eyes of the four daughters.

Old Sep 13th, 2000, 08:19 AM
ilisa

I just want to thank everyone for the fabulous suggestions from the last book thread. I'm having knee surgery in a couple of weeks and now have a stack of books to read while I am laid up in my percoset-induced state (inlcuding The Poisonwood Bible). Keep 'em coming!

Old Sep 13th, 2000, 06:55 PM
nancy

Thank you Bookish for doing the SEQUEL! <BR>That thread is wonderful, but was very tiresome to scroll through. <BR>These two books are not novels, but very interesting anyway. <BR>Both by Tim Parks, <BR>Italian Neighbors, and Italian Education. <BR>Both dealing with his life settling into Italy with his Italian wife. <BR>My husband read a book that he loved, called A Carnival Of Saints, by George Herman.It is an historical mystery/thriller, if I can remember correctly. <BR>Books by Pauline Gedge are fictional accounts/stories of the Pharohs of Eygpt. <BR>Both my husband and I have enjoyed them. <BR>More books please! <BR>nancy

Old Sep 13th, 2000, 08:40 PM
Kathryn

We listened to P.D. James' "A Certain Justice" unabridged (15 hours) in the car this summer on our vacation--it is a compelling British mystery! <BR> <BR>Enjoy!

Old Sep 14th, 2000, 06:49 AM
Kris

I'm not sure if I posted these on the last one... <BR> <BR>"The Mystery of the Yellow Room" by Gaston LeRoux, actually a more popular book in its day than his better known novel "Phantom of the Opera" which is also a good read. <BR> <BR>"A Very Long Engagement" by Sebastien Japrisot, historical fiction set in France during WWI. <BR> <BR>"The Scarlet Pimpernel", set during the French Revolution <BR> <BR>For a lighter read, I also enjoy Anne Perry's mysteries featuring Thomas Pitt.

Old Sep 14th, 2000, 12:47 PM
Annette

Read 'The Hacienda', a memoir by Lisa St. Aubin de Teran. In brillant prose she relates her struggles as the English teenage bride of a schizophrenic Venezuelan Hacienda landlord. Also check out her 'Venice: The Four Seasons', a pictorial with text describing her two year stay in Venice. Another is 'A Valley in Italy' about fixing up her villa in Umbria. <BR> <BR>If you have a taste for NASTY & VERY raw writing, try Irvine Welsh's short stories, 'The Acid House'. His first novel was Trainspotting and you perhaps remember the movie. For a Yank to read his writing, the Scottish dialect and slang is priceless, not to mention his extraordianry command of the English. <BR> <BR>BTW, if anyone knows of any historical fiction novel set in Northern Italy or The Netherlands, please post. My husband likes the genre.

Old Sep 14th, 2000, 12:52 PM
Annette

Yes, and if you like mysteries don't overlook Janwillem van de Wetering's Zen spiced Amsterdam cop series.

Old Sep 15th, 2000, 04:17 PM
nancy

Another suggestion for Bookish; <BR>My husband enjoyed this book *very* much. <BR>Daughter of God, by Lewis Perdue. <BR>It is new. <BR>It is a mystery, set in Italy and Switzerland, story is contempory setting,but concerns some ancient 4th century piece of art. <BR>Sounds like it might cover all bases . <BR>Even though this is a travel site,and not a literary site,more suggestions would be wonderful! <BR>More suggestions please! <BR>Nancy

Old Sep 15th, 2000, 04:29 PM
Thyra

I would recommend "the Instance of the Finger Post" A truly gripping and gigantic mystery novel set in the "Age of Enlightenment" in England... unable to put that one down. Anyone got any other big-fat-European history fiction novels out there? I would love a suggestion as well.

Old Sep 15th, 2000, 06:48 PM
edie

not travel related but two good books: <BR> <BR>Isabel Allende <BR>Daughter of Fortune <BR> <BR>Anita Diamant <BR>The Red Tent <BR> <BR>the red tent is an unbelievable read, loved it so much i am actually jealous of people i see reading it, b/c i wish i was reading it for the first time. <BR> <BR>second or third the opinion on Poisonwood Bible, long and satisfying. <BR>also worth it are <BR> <BR>Memoirs of a Geisha (almost as good as Red Tent) and <BR>I know this much is true, by wally lamb <BR>

Old Oct 8th, 2000, 01:20 PM
toppy

Anything bt ruth Rendell, aka, Barbara Vine.

Old Oct 8th, 2000, 01:33 PM
pat

In preparation for a trip next week, any suggestions on historical fiction set in Napoleonic France? <BR> <BR>

Old Oct 8th, 2000, 02:48 PM
e

War & Peace--too big?-- try doing a search on Amazon: amazing search engine!

Old Oct 9th, 2000, 08:29 AM
Kathy

I've been dying to recommend the following books: <BR> <BR>Possession by A.S. Byatt (set in modern England) <BR> <BR>Waiting by Ha Jin <BR> <BR>The Name of the Rose by Umberto Eco <BR> <BR>The Pilot's Wife by Anita Shreve <BR> <BR>Emma, Pride and Prejudice and Persuasion, all by Jane Austen <BR> <BR>The Shipping News by Annie Proulx <BR> <BR>Sorry about my eclectic taste. Enjoy! <BR> <BR>

Old Oct 9th, 2000, 10:26 AM
nickie

Pat, this may be old hat, but how about "The Count of Monte Christo" by Dumas - or any of his actually. <BR>For a big, fat historical fiction book, how about Sharon Penman's series about Wales - I believe the first in the series is "Here be Dragons".

Old Oct 9th, 2000, 11:10 AM
Paule

1)The God of Small Things <BR> (sorry, I don't have the author). A beautiful, poignant book. <BR> <BR>2) The Divine Secrets of the Ya-Ya Sisterhood <BR> (okay, I don't remember the name of this author, either). <BR> <BR>Another vote for <BR>3) The Poisonwood Bible

Old Oct 9th, 2000, 11:43 AM
Maira

Although I had replied to the original thread, two more books come to mind; "East of Eden" by John Steinbeck (my absolute favorite author), and "The Cider House Rules" by John Irving (another favorite). I read both books many years ago and they remain two of the best books I ever read.

Old Oct 9th, 2000, 01:36 PM
marie

The God of Small Things is by Arundhati Roy

Old Oct 9th, 2000, 01:45 PM
heather

Just read "Book of Kings" by James Thakara. Amazing. Not a literary critic, but would highly recommend the novel. Follows 4 main characters through pre- and post-WWII in Europe. All facets ... an Algerian writer, an American abroad, a German baron/soldier, and a German philosopher. <BR> <BR>Also, reading "From Here to Eternity" for the first time and really enjoying it, too. <BR> <BR>If you're into different, try "Geek Love". <BR> <BR>Oh, and I also just finished Bill Bryson's "Neither Here Nor There" about retracing his 60s backpacking trip through Europe, but in his pudgier 40-something years. I laughed through the whole book.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Your Privacy Choices -