Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Fodorites; kindly critique my 6 day London itinerary.

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 22nd, 2008, 06:46 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

After touring the Cotswolds, we are arriving in London after dropping our car off at Heathrow. Our hotel is the Morgan which is directly across from the British Museum.

Thursday, Sept 18; 4PM, check into our hotel and spend time at the British Museum, it closes at 8:30. Take a walk through the West End.

Friday, Sept 19; we have already purchased tickets to tour the Parliament at 10. Visit Westminster Abbey, and end up at the Victoria Albert Museum (open until 10).

Saturday, Sept 20; we have already purchased tickets to tour Buckingham Palace at 9:30. Visit Tate Britain, Harrods and then see Billy Elliot (7:30 tickets purchased)

Sunday, Sept 21; British Museum, National Gallery and take a "London Walks".

Monday, Sept 22; Tower of London at 10 (will purchase tickets), St Pauls and Tate Modern. Wicked at 7:30 (tickets purchased).

Tuesday, Sept 23; Courtauld Gallery, Sir John Sloan's and Hairspray at 7:30 (tickets purchased).

Wednesday, Sept 24; return to Miami at 2:30

Old Jul 22nd, 2008, 07:05 PM

Your plan looks quite reasonable. You can spend days at the British Museum alone!
Old Jul 22nd, 2008, 07:24 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
Some of your plans are a bit hectic but definitely doable.

Three "majors" a day can be pretty difficult/tiring and you are pulling three majors almost every day. So just be prepared to make changes on the fly since you may end up overstaying/missing things. You need to factor in transit time and meals. Luckily, most of the major galleries/museums have really good restaurants/cafes on-site.

BTW - it is Sir John <u>Soane's</u> Museum
Old Jul 22nd, 2008, 07:49 PM
Original Poster

janisj, would you drop any of the mentioned sights? We love all aspects of tourism.

I visited London 25 years ago and who knows if I will make it back. I am reluctant to miss any of the most important &quot;biggies&quot;!

How about the grouping of sights?
Old Jul 22nd, 2008, 07:53 PM
Original Poster

sfgator, one memory I have of London is the spectacular British Museum. I am staying right across the street so I can pop in at every chance!
Old Jul 22nd, 2008, 08:16 PM

I think your plan is very do-able; you will see a lot of key sights, and some will take longer than others. You may find you choose certain highlights in the big museums, rather than trying to see everything.

The Courtauld Gallery is one of my favorites. Have a great trip!
Old Jul 22nd, 2008, 09:09 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
InMiami: No, I really wouldn't drop any of them - you have a good mix. Just a lot of them. Staying at the Morgan means you really don't have to &quot;schedule&quot; the British Museum at all. You can literally pop in for 30 mins or so as you set out each day or for 30 mins on your way back to the hotel to freshen up before going to the theatre.
Old Jul 23rd, 2008, 10:39 AM
yk

I agree that your itin looks good. Does your Buckingham Palace ticket include admission to the Queen's Gallery? Don't miss it if the admission is included and you've got the time.
Old Jul 23rd, 2008, 10:43 AM

I also think it looks good!

Which London Walks our are you going??
Old Jul 23rd, 2008, 10:58 AM
Original Poster

yk,we purchased the &quot;Royal Day Out&quot; pass which includes the Queen's Gallery, Royal Mews and Buckingham Palace. The passes arrived in an elegant blue and gold pamphlet with sheath, the actual tickets are printed on heavy stock with the coronation crown as the backdrop, very well done! I decided on reserving a time slot first thing in the morning to avoid at least some of the crowds.

janisj, good point. We can fit in the British Museum throughout our trip and leave Sunday open for exploring.

jamikins, I'm not sure which tour to take. I know the Jack the Ripper tour is the most popular. I not sure if I want a tour that gives more historical information or something more sensational. Does anyone have a suggestion?
Old Jul 23rd, 2008, 11:36 AM

You are so organized you probably already have this covered but in case you haven't considered, the current main special exhibit at the British Museum is about Hadrian. You might want to check online for advance ticket purchase but given your hotel location you could probably check at the museum and find an open slot. I know it's had a large advance sale but don't think it is entirely sold out. Have a great time!
Old Jul 23rd, 2008, 11:40 AM
dmlove

InMiami, could you post a link to the Queens Gallery, etc. tour you purchased. Thanks.

Old Jul 23rd, 2008, 11:41 AM
yk

dmlove-
Queen's Gallery:
http://www.royalcollection.org.uk/de...icle&amp;ID=32
Old Jul 23rd, 2008, 12:55 PM

bookmarking - thank you
Old Jul 23rd, 2008, 02:07 PM

Here's another thumbs-up on your itinerary.

The Courtauld Gallery and Sir John Soanes Museum are not only wonderful but relatively small as well. Should you want to fit in something else modest-sized you couldn't get to, Tuesday would be the best day for it.
Old Jul 23rd, 2008, 02:23 PM

Cholmondley_Warner used to do Jack the Ripper walks for London Walks; maybe he'll chime in here, but he doesn't recommend that walk for a variety of reasons.

There are tons of other choices for Sunday that sound wonderful, though.

Lee Ann
Old Jul 23rd, 2008, 04:48 PM

The British Library Special Documents Room is one of my all-time favorite things I've done in London. It doesn't take too much time if you can work it in.

There is a Richoux tea shop on South Audley Street at the Marble Arch end of Oxford Street. Their afternoon tea is less expensive than most places.

If you walk down Charing Cross to the theater, you will pass the Murder One bookstore, another favorite place I like to browse.

Please say hello to John at the Morgan from Carolyn and Lisa from Louisville, KY.
Old Jul 24th, 2008, 01:10 AM
Original Poster

Thanks to all for your good suggestions.
carolyn, I noticed that there are four Richoux restaurants in London, you would recommend the Marble Arch location? Afternoon tea sounds so British!
Old Jul 24th, 2008, 01:19 AM

There is a tour of the V and A which does the highlights and is well worth doing especially-give sa good overview.
Old Jul 24th, 2008, 06:27 AM

Re Hadrian exhibition at BM I would recommend advance purchase of tickets. It will be in its last month and demand for tickets gets higher and higher. They do keep about 500 to sell on the day but you may be queuing from 7am and your ticket for much later in the day. It will be open during the Thursday and Friday evening openings.

Re evening openings only about one third of the Museum is available on these. Online you can check nearer the date for the gallery lecture schedules and other events.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -