Navigo Decouverte

Search

Navigo Decouverte

Search this Thread

Old Mar 26th, 2008, 03:18 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Navigo Decouverte

We travelled to Paris last week (March 14- 23) and I thought that I’d share our experiences as first time Navigo users. On our many trips to Paris before, we have always bought carnets and used individual tickets. But after much research on this forum (thank you to all who have shared their knowledge and advice), I felt that we should take the plunge and buy Navigos.

We purchased our Navigo Decouverte cards at the Invalides metro station –I had hoped that we could buy them from someone a ticket office. Instead, this particular metro entrance only had an information window with an exceptionally kind and helpful woman. We explained to her what we wanted to buy and showed her our photos which I had brought from home. She then came out of the office and walked us over to the machine where she showed us how to purchase the Navigo Decouverte pass. We bought 4 at 5 euros each with cash. The machine spit out 4 tickets which the lady told us to bring to her information window. There, she redeemed the tickets for 4 Navigo passes. I must say at this point, the Navigo cards are substantial-hard plastic. She had each of us sign our card and she herself attached our photo and laminated the card for us. I think we would have figured out what to do, but it was so nice to have her do it the right way so we had no doubts.

Then she came back out of her office and took us back to the ticket machine to show us how to load the Carte Orange fares onto the cards. Each card was dealt with separately. There is a holder on the machine where you must place the card (either side out is ok). Then the ticket machine leads you through a series of instructions -it’s really simple. The nice woman did the first 3 and then let me do the 4th so that I would know how to do it in the future. We paid cash, each time, to the ticket machine as our credit cards are not equipped the proper chip.

We used the passes on both the bus and the metro for the week (Monday-Sunday) and bought one carnet for the weekend that we arrived. In general, we love the Navigo card for its convenience. It was so easy to locate in my bag and wave at the turnstile.

Hope this information might help someone else.
Old Mar 26th, 2008, 03:53 PM

Received 42 Likes on 2 Posts
Thanks Bindo. I plan to buy a navigo decouverte card for my next trip to Paris and your post answers what I've been wanting to know.
Old Mar 26th, 2008, 04:01 PM

Thanks for the detailed report. That woman sounds much nicer than the one at nearby Ecole Militaire station a few years ago who absolutely refused to sell a Carte Orange to tourists. Last November, I bought the 5-euro Navigo Decouverte but haven't loaded or used it yet (it was during the subway strike), so I've been wondering how to load fares without the right credit card. Glad to hear that it can be easily done with cash at the machines.
Old Mar 26th, 2008, 04:05 PM

Bindo, Thank you. This is great as I will be doing this in a few weeks. I can only hope we get someone like you did to help us out. We'll be arriving at Gare St. Lazare, so I'm expected confusion!

One question: The really simple instructions for loading and laminating -- were they in French only?

Thanks again.
Old Mar 26th, 2008, 04:11 PM

<<instructions for loading and laminating>>

Celiaanne, you won't need to read instructions. Just stick the photo on the blank space, flip over the flap from the back, peel off the wax paper, and carefully stick the transparent laminating film over the card (after you've attached the photo and signed the card).
Old Mar 26th, 2008, 04:17 PM

Merci, MademoiselleFifi

Old Mar 26th, 2008, 04:18 PM
Original Poster

Sassy and Mlle Fifi,
Hope you have a great time...good luck with Navigo

Celiaanne, the instructions were in French. On the card, it was quite obvious where to stick the photo. The lady actually did the laminating for us but only involved pulling the plastic adhesive over from the back.
The instructions on the machine were also in French-I'm not sure if there is an English option like the bank machines have. That being said, we were given options to choose Carte Orange (week or month) for zones 1 & 2, quantity (1), no receipt, then down load. The machine then told you when it was ready. Hope this helps.

I forgot to mention in my post, that our passes where checked by Metro Officials as we exited the platform on two different days. About 5 uniformed people stopped everybody as they walked by. I don't recall which stations. This was a first for us.
Old Mar 26th, 2008, 04:29 PM

bookmark
Old Mar 26th, 2008, 06:54 PM

Thanks again, Bindo. Very helpful.
Old Mar 26th, 2008, 08:38 PM

Thanks from me, too... I hope to follow your instructions in Sept08.
Old Mar 27th, 2008, 06:03 PM

Thank you so much. Am leaving in 2 weeks and every previous post about the changeover just confused me more. Even though I have a Carte Orange from 2 years ago, I think I will pay the 5 Euros and go with the new card.
Old Jun 13th, 2008, 07:48 AM

bookmarking
Old Jun 13th, 2008, 09:29 AM

Received 11 Likes on 4 Posts
I did not buy the Navigo, but I did use the ticket machine in a metro station to buy a carnet in March, and my US bank's debit card worked fine.
Old Jun 13th, 2008, 09:48 AM

The machine confusion stems in part from the possibility that some locations do accept US cards, and other locations do not. I forget which is which, but it's pretty well defined that the RER machine at CDG does NOT. The local metro station machines evidently DO. The machines at the Gares, as I recall, do NOT. Velib does NOT (other than AmEx).
Old Jun 13th, 2008, 10:58 AM

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post
The RATP is having a difficult transitional period, and there have been a lot of articles in the French press recently. Their goal is to get rid of the Carte Orange by the end of 2008, but it is relatively obvious that this will not be possible. Many of the French have extreme "privacy" issues and refuse to buy a chip card that can track their every movement (even if French law only allows this to be done to known major criminals and terrorists). The ripost of the RATP (and SNCF) is to make it harder and harder to buy a Carte Orange coupon. Systemwide, only about 50% of stations now sell Carte Orange coupons. The only reason for this is to push people to get a Navigo.

However, another inconvenience that the RATP is pushing on people is the fact that many metro stations have elminated their ticket windows and turned them into "information" windows. All tickets must be bought from machines. One of the worst cases of this is a station that I use every day -- George V on the Champs Elysées. The window no longer sells tickets and there are only two ticket machines. Every single day when I go through there at 5 p.m. there is a line of at least 5 to 10 people at each machine trying to buy their tickets.

It is also true that there is not really any space to put more machines. So here is a word of advice: even if you don't need tickets immediately, think of buying them at stations that are not crowded and which still have ticket windows. If you wait until you are completely out of tickets, you might find yourself in a long line with a dozen other tourists.
Old Jun 13th, 2008, 11:11 AM

<<However, another inconvenience that the RATP is pushing on people is the fact that many metro stations have elminated their ticket windows and turned them into "information" windows. All tickets must be bought from machines.>>

This is also true in NYC now.
Old Jun 13th, 2008, 12:42 PM

<i>...many metro stations have elminated their ticket windows and turned them into &quot;information&quot; windows. All tickets must be bought from machines.</i>

so.... where do you buy the Navigo Decouverte+C.O. pass?

I have coinage to buy RER tickets at CDG; thought I'd get the Nav passes at RER-Denfert R. station. Anything wrong with that plan?
Old Jun 13th, 2008, 03:37 PM

Sounds like a plan.
Old Oct 12th, 2008, 06:20 PM

Can the weekly fares only be loaded onto the Navigo Decouverte Friday through Wednesday (when the old Carte Orange is sold), or can it be done earlier?
Old Nov 6th, 2008, 11:08 PM

Another question - once purchased, are the Navigos good forever??? We are in Paris right now but leaving Sunday. I thought I might buy one for next time if they don't expire. Sure beats hassling with little metro tickets (used/unused) all the time.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -