Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Curled in fetal position on kitchen floor utterly unprepared for 17 days in France, Italy and Spain.

Search

Curled in fetal position on kitchen floor utterly unprepared for 17 days in France, Italy and Spain.

Search this Thread

Old Mar 29th, 2006, 07:04 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi guys, I know that the posters who are too lazy to look things up at the epitome of annoying, but would anyone mind pointing me to a few good threads with basic first timer city touring itineraries for Paris, Venice, Florence, Rome, and Madrid? I need help. We're leaving tomorrow morning and I don't have much of a plan yet for the cities we're going to.
Old Mar 29th, 2006, 07:14 PM
rex

http://www.fodors.com/miniguides/ind...stscope=europe

Best wishes,

Rex
Old Mar 29th, 2006, 07:17 PM

Uncurl yourself because you will be scrunched enough on the plane. Then, take a deep breath and click on what Rex prescribed.

Now, I cannot really help you with threads but I can tell you from experience that on the plane, people will have guide books and if they are not reading them, you can ask if you can see it. Also, airports are really huge on local information, so once you arrive, you will have access to a lot of planning.

Have so much fun and see a lot of things you weren't expecting to. That is the bonus to not over-planning. . . the surprises!
Old Mar 29th, 2006, 07:21 PM
Original Poster

Thanks guys. I'm sure it will be ok... I just have first big trip nerves.
Old Mar 29th, 2006, 08:40 PM

I know you didn't ask, but I can't help but suggest you skip Spain on this trip and concentrate on France and Italy. Take time to savor. Spain will be there for the next trip.

Does your 17-day itinerary include two days of travel time (one day over, one day back if you're in the US)? If not, you only have a total of 15 days. Counting a day to check out/travel/check in at each of your five locations, you'd have 12 full days left. Five cities in that length of time would leave me exhausted!
Old Mar 29th, 2006, 10:02 PM
Original Poster

It's actually 19 days if you include the travel days on each end. And we're flying between France and Italy and Italy and Spain--that cuts down transit time a bit... So, anywho, the reservations for lodging and flights are all set. We may not do the most thorough job of touring, but we can always come back
Old Mar 30th, 2006, 02:48 AM

I know the feeling! Just try to relax and enjoy - you don't have to have firm plans in place. I'm sure you have done some research here and at other places so you must have an idea of what you want to do and see. Your hotel will be a good resource for suggestions of places to go. If not the hotel, there are tourist bureaus everywhere which can help you.

Sometimes I am amazed at how many people post itineraries which have things to do planned down to the minute!

Have a great time!
Old Mar 30th, 2006, 06:24 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
I never plan anything more than the plane tickets and hotel reservations. The rest you can figure out as you go along. Maybe take a couple guidebooks to read on the long plane ride over.

When you get into a city/town pick up free information from the train station, your hotel lobby, or a tourist bureau and buy a local weekly entertainment guide of some sort.

Point being, while Fodor's is blessed with many obsessive compulsive planners, you really do not necessarily need a "plan" at all to enjoy a trip to Europe!!
Old Mar 30th, 2006, 06:32 AM

if you want a "plan": at the very least go to the library and borrow a travel guide or 2.
or: maybe winging it is the way to go. (not my cup of tea but to each their own.)
Old Mar 30th, 2006, 06:35 AM
JJ5

suze, is totally correct about both points. Just because some do seem to want and need total minute to minute check lists- does not mean what you are doing is impossible or too daunting in reality. It isn't.

The fondest trip I ever was on was one quite like yours but into Eastern Europe, instead of the Spain portion.

Have fun, youngandrestless, and I envy you the experience you will have that is uniquely your own without a lot of pre-read pre-conceived place ideas and concepts from others that came before you. Sometimes it is just so tasty the first flavor way- especially when you are young.
Old Mar 30th, 2006, 07:50 AM

I don't do spreadsheets with openings and closings and must sees...and I read these boards like all the other fanatics, but I remember things...certain posters' recommendations and things.
I do spend my sleepless night over the water reading the guidebooks and making a note or two "I'd like this", "I want to see that"... but I'm pretty darned flexible when I travel and I really enjoy that!
It is pretty dang "freeing"
Old Mar 30th, 2006, 08:27 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
One of my favorite things is finding local events... when you get into each city, ask around and look for listings of things like: free concerts in the park, days for neighborhood open air markets, church or school pageants, parades, BBQ fundraisers, and the like.
Old Mar 30th, 2006, 08:48 AM

Did you print out Maribel's very helpful Madrid guide?

http://www.maribelsguides.com/

Have a great trip!
Old Mar 30th, 2006, 09:14 AM

You're leaving tomorrow. Follow Rex's advice about using the Fodor's destination guides. Most of them have suggestions for the best to do in 3 days, which is about what you will have in each city. Make a list of the "Must Sees" for each stop. When you get there, try to see those you want to see but don't forget to wander around and enjoy each city.
Old Mar 30th, 2006, 03:46 PM

I hope you are up off the floor and packed and ready to go, lists in hand

Old Mar 30th, 2006, 03:49 PM

Scarlett, I think youngandrestless has left Fodorville and is off on her way to Europe!
Old Mar 30th, 2006, 03:56 PM

hi youngandrestless!
I hope that you are having fun! I too go into paralysis right before a big trip. But, now that you are on your way, here's my advice - plan to "get lost" and let the trip take you. We have happened upon some of our most wonderful travel moments by missing the exit or taking a wrong turn.
Ciao bella!
Old Mar 30th, 2006, 04:20 PM

Your choice ! My experience is that you get out what you put in--like most things in life.
Old Mar 31st, 2006, 09:15 PM
Original Poster

Hi Guys! I am in Paris now, refreshed after my first night of sleep! Thanks for the encouragement on winging it. Last night we went to the Eiffel Tower and saw the sparking night view--a great way to start our trip! Now we are going to the Chateau Versailles. It's pretty easy after all. I'm just logging on quickly to get a few last minutes pointers, and I'm off. Thanks again!
Old Mar 31st, 2006, 09:31 PM
Original Poster

Brief side note: On the plane over we sat next to a wonderful Frenchman who had been doing business in the US for the past few months. He was kind enough to get on the bus with us into the city from the airport, and put us in a cab to our hotel. And then when we took the Metro to the Eiffel tower the first two people we randomly asked for help with taking the right subway were American ex pats! And any French people we asked spoke perfect English! I'm so impressed with how well educated other countries are. Everyone speaks several languages it seems.

Ok, I've got to get back to my vacation! Bye!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -